Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

That One Guy

Occational Annoyance
Reaction score
What is an ungoverned engine? I assume it would mean something like, no computer in it, but mine doesnt have any kind of computer chip in it that I'm aware of... soooo....?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
It means the governor, which a mechanical device inside the engine that limits the rpms (normally to 3600), has been removed.

PS: i moved your post to the right section

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Take off the sidecover, remove the little plastic gear thing (has to be broken to get it off). Then you have to rig your throttle cable directly to the butterfly on the carb.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Ummm... sidecover being the recoil?

Nope, other side. The large piece of metal around the output shaft, held on by 7 bolts.

It (among other things) is missing in this picture

Hayden

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
I DO NOT recommend you go about performing such modifications if your knowledge of such things is so slim.

+1

Get a engine from the junkyard (not a mower engine, they usually have wind vane governors) and pull it apart and learn how things like the governor works. Then you won't be in any danger of ruining your good engine and you will be more confident with pulling yours apart.

Also, put a bolt in the hole where the governor was, with washers. Make sure it's sealed, use "gasket goo" on it if necessary.

Hayden

That One Guy

Occational Annoyance
Reaction score
Well, my stepdad didn't know what a govenor was, but he knows most all small engines inside and out, being that we own dirtbikes, and live on a farm. We use Briggs' on our wheel lines. So he's taken them apart before... The reason I don't want to go to the junkyard, is because all they have is push mower, and riding mower engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.