• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Quick bits

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Power in older, non renovated homes is a constant problem. Ours was built in '49 and has 100 A service. In the summer in GA, that gets maxed out real quick.

Oh for sure. What really chaps me is the fact that only the 92% efficient furnace and hot water heater are the only things in this house that runs off of natural gas. Stove/range and dryer are all 240v electric. Unfortunately trying to T in gas from the basement is going to be costly, but it could end up saving us money overall. As well as adding more insulation into the attic.

Solomonster212

High Compression Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am now the owner of 0 Go-Karts. I sold my racing kart for $1200 to afford parts for my 2 race cars. I'm now a member of the SCCA so I'm trying to get serious about racing and I need to make sure both my cars have strong setups.

I had a blast with the karting though. I think I owned 6 of them and built the hell out of all of them. Maybe one day me and my brother will own a nice piece of land and we'll buy some yard karts to have fun in.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
My dog ran away again. Usually after a few hours she comes right back home. This time it was different though. After 2 weeks of searching I finally found her. Looks like she went to the middle of the railroad tracks, curled up and died peacefully between the rails. Now for the first time in over 50 years I’m without a best friend. I miss her so much. :censored:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That sucks. Sorry to hear that Denny.

Just found out part of our water in the basement issue is, sewer backing up. No idea where, why, or how, but this is really starting to p me off. I noticed yesterday that the shower was having a hard time draining. Well tonight after my wife showered she had me take a look and there was still standing water in it. Went into the basement and saw water dripping from a capped off section. This section comes off of a T and goes over two feet and upward. Not sure if the cap is glued on or just pressed on. All I know is, have to call someone to asses the issue.

Could've been avoided if the sellers of this place had lived here or did there frickin due diligence when they were fixing this place up. So I just hope to God my homeowners insurance will help with this.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
So Roto-Rooter came out today to clean the clog. Turns out the clog is a broken sewer line just on the other side of the foundation. Which means? Insurance company are going to be cactuses about it and fight me to cover any of it. So if I have to pay, all my fun projects will be on hold for even longer now. So ST2 build and VW build will be on hold for probably another year.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Had a trenching company come out that does this type of stuff for the Village of Utica with the water main. What had happened was the sewer line from the house broke. Ended up being that outside of the foundation it was a clay pipe, very common for a house of this vintage to have it. No idea why in over the century it was never upgraded to PVC or similar. If I get pictures from the guy, I'll post them.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Because the clay tiles usually last over a hundred years. Chicago still has some wooden water pipes in the city. Yea, believe it or not they used to engineer things to last. Sometimes things just happen. The one you need to go after is your home inspector. Sounds like he is the one who missed it. You did have it inspected right?Welcome to being a homeowner!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
We did have it inspected. I guess from what I've heard is that home inspectors here in Nebraska suck. They kind of just pencil whip everything.

From what the guy told me was, the line also wasn't even connected underground to the city sewer line??? Anyway, they installed a clean out, outside and installed 8 feet of PVC. Seems like everything is good to go. Grand total was $1,050, he deducted $50 for accidentally running over that black tube (that's hooked up to a gutter down spout), he ran over it with his mini excavator near the down spout. No big deal in my mind, not like I can't just redo it anyway, since it was just duct taped to the gutter anyway.

For future reference, anyone whose a current homeowner or will be a future homeowner, make sure you go with a company that has Service/Utility line insurance. It's an additional $20 or so per month at least from American Family Insurance. This kind of policy would help pay for this kind of thing, or damaged power lines on the property, or any other utility.

Just linking incase anyone is interested. https://www.amfam.com/insurance/hom...N9om86DU9wE3zy4gmTqd6PHXRghZfhHoaAvSKEALw_wcB

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(3).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(3).jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 3

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'm BEYOND p'od. Just found out my dad's storage locker was broken in to. Snowblower stolen and my Yamaha Blaster was also stolen. People are real p.o.s for breaking in like that. Of course the storage place doesn't have any security cameras. The padlock was cut off the locker.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Seeing as I cannot edit my previous post for whatever reason, my dad found that more stuff was stolen than just my quad. My brother's P71 push bumper, my dad's ice auger, ice fish house, flat screen TV (it was in the box, yet they just pulled it from the box and left the remote and stand in the box...frickin morons). So about $5000 or so was stolen so far.

Also, the MN DNR, most worthless organization I've ever dealt with. So the quad had to be registered to get the tags for its use on trails, but they are difficult to get duplicate registration cards. All I need is the flippin VIN to give to the Sheriff's office, but they won't even look it up for me. Really wish I knew where the information was for it. Chain your stuff down and take pictures of EVERYTHING! Keep all the info you can in a safe location. Also, trust no one, especially if you live out in the country.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing as I cannot edit my previous post for whatever reason, my dad found that more stuff was stolen than just my quad. My brother's P71 push bumper, my dad's ice auger, ice fish house, flat screen TV (it was in the box, yet they just pulled it from the box and left the remote and stand in the box...frickin morons). So about $5000 or so was stolen so far.

Also, the MN DNR, most worthless organization I've ever dealt with. So the quad had to be registered to get the tags for its use on trails, but they are difficult to get duplicate registration cards. All I need is the flippin VIN to give to the Sheriff's office, but they won't even look it up for me. Really wish I knew where the information was for it. Chain your stuff down and take pictures of EVERYTHING! Keep all the info you can in a safe location. Also, trust no one, especially if you live out in the country.
Ugh!!! That sucks man:mad: Sorry about that. You get really crappy people in this world

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The part that really is starting to bug me is, the guy that owns it has had stuff like this happen before, but refuses to buy a security system.

On top of that, my dad got a letter not that long ago from his insurance company stating, if he makes another claim, they have the right to drop him....well he made a claim yesterday so we'll see.

karl

Reaction score
The part that really is starting to bug me is, the guy that owns it has had stuff like this happen before, but refuses to buy a security system.
That's just scummy. No front gate or fence? No goodwill?
On top of that, my dad got a letter not that long ago from his insurance company stating, if he makes another claim, they have the right to drop him....well he made a claim yesterday so we'll see.
Seems like you've just had lots of bad luck recently, Im so sorry. Stay positive. Your way better than those low lifes.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Small update on the missing stuff. Probably won't be recovered unless the people who stole it have a warrant for their arrest. Since that seems to be the common thread around that area. Another thing is, since my ATV is not a utilitarian type used for work around a property, the home insurance will not cover it.