questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric492

Reaction score
I've been in school for the last two months (RRJCC) in Lopez, PA studying to be an automotive tech. and getting my GED. Met some rednecks and in some mysterious way some how got adopted into the famly???

Besides that the three of us are bet on making three reverse trikes to mike them street legal.
My question is mostly on the powerplant I want to use an MC engine, and the other to want sled engines both can put down some serious power but which would be best?
The other question is about suspension. I dont know much about it period but I think the front suspension of a small car should do it, or should I go ahead and get my hands on an ATV suspension?

And the picture shows pretty much what I want it to look like when I'm finished.

Thanks,
Nacho

Attachments

• specification-g-2-05.jpg
    specification-g-2-05.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 18

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Everybody makes fun of a Redneck 'till your car breaks down...

Engineering your own suspension can be a pretty daunting task. Especially if you expect to survive at high speeds. You may well be better to grab the frontend from a quad or something as a starting point.

Sled or bike? Personally, I'd go with bike. I much prefer to shift my own gears, and there's more options. On the other side, if you're intent on getting reverse you will have a much tougher time finding a decent bike driveline with reverse. It is my understanding that some large cruisers have been made available with reverse.

I don't know what your budget's like, but maybe you can score a parts quad of the racing (not utility) type with a snotty engine, reverse, and some good suspension as a donor?

Eric492

Reaction score
Everybody makes fun of a Redneck 'till your car breaks down...

Engineering your own suspension can be a pretty daunting task. Especially if you expect to survive at high speeds. You may well be better to grab the frontend from a quad or something as a starting point.

Sled or bike? Personally, I'd go with bike. I much prefer to shift my own gears, and there's more options. On the other side, if you're intent on getting reverse you will have a much tougher time finding a decent bike driveline with reverse. It is my understanding that some large cruisers have been made available with reverse.

I don't know what your budget's like, but maybe you can score a parts quad of the racing (not utility) type with a snotty engine, reverse, and some good suspension as a donor?

Technically I'm considered a redneck latino :roflol:

Yea i probably should just look for a donor quad and go from there. where would be a good place to find one ebay? craigslist?

And we're planning for these things to hit over 100mph dude so tubing size. would 1.5 inch round tubing suffice?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
100MPH? Hey, Rednecks win Darwin awards, too! In fact, it's mostly rednecks that win. Please do a ton of homework before even picking up a tool, and if your fabrication skills are not up to snuff, man up and admit it- have somebody else build the chassis.

Believe me, I mean no insult, but the nature of your questions worry me- are you capable of not killing yourself? This is NOT a "first-time" project. Be safe.

Eric492

Reaction score
100MPH? Hey, Rednecks win Darwin awards, too! In fact, it's mostly rednecks that win. Please do a ton of homework before even picking up a tool, and if your fabrication skills are not up to snuff, man up and admit it- have somebody else build the chassis.

Believe me, I mean no insult, but the nature of your questions worry me- are you capable of not killing yourself? This is NOT a "first-time" project. Be safe.

yes and 100mph+ and i know they do lmao most of them are in the military too. Oh I'm not planning to pick up a tool till spring or summer time I know I have alot of homework to do. And as for skills since we're building three of them in a group we have to mechanics and auto body guy. I'm a decent welder so shouldnt be that bad but I'm mostly in charge of engine and wiring them. my friend is fabricating the chassis.

and yes im capable of not killing myself safety is first on the list and no this is not a first time project bro.

BTW thanks theo :cheers2:

Eric492

Reaction score
yes I just got off the phone with the guys and they asked me if a 2-stroke would be street legal. i told them that I don't know... Are they?

also I hope a 2-cycle guru can answer this but turbocharging a 2-stroke, how?

redsox985

Reaction score
A bike engine will be the easiest way to hit 100. I'm not sure if a snowmobile can do that?

redsox985

Reaction score
Nah. Get a wrecked bike, most likely the motor and what not will be good still. Parts can be resold and many break even on sold parts after they salvage the motor and electronics and parts they need. Plus you get the gear selection, not a CVT. Since you are building your own, go your own way and make them jealous.

redsox985

Reaction score
I don't think PA has strict emissions rules unless you are in a large urban area (Pittsburgh, Philly, maybe Harrisburg) where they do emissions tests with your yearly vehicle inspection.

redsox985

Reaction score
Well, I have no idea then. Although I do know they are sticklers about emissions in Allegheny County. My gf's emissions were due on a car purchased in a rural area, less than a year ago where the emissions weren't needed and the inspection was still valid, and she went to take her license test in a county not needing emissions testing but they made her get it tested before her test because she lived in an area that needed emissions testing. So, in rural areas, I don't think they care but in large areas, they are crazy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.