Question regarding live axle setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombarr247

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been pondering over what to do with my live axle setup for quite a while, and decided to ask for your help..

Basically, I am building a kart intended for off-road use.
I currently have a 30mm axle and axle bearings, brake disk and sprocket to suit the 30mm axle from an old kart.
I also have broken an old ride-on lawnmower, so I have wheels to suit a 3/4" axle.

My conundrum is this: I want to minimise cost (doesn't everyone!) by using as much stuff that I already have, because in Ireland.... parts don't come readily available or cheap, as karting is not big here AT ALL!!

Would the axle be too weak if I were to turn down the ends of the 30mm axle to 3/4", then thread the ends of the shaft and bolt on the keyed wheels? (The tyres are 19" diameter.)

I have considered getting rally hubs to suit my 30mm axle and then dril holes in the old lawnmover rims to suit, but the problem is the rims dome outward in the centre (are not flat) and could prove difficult to mount to hubs...

If anyone has any ideas/help/info it would be much appreciated!

Thank you kindly in advance
Keep up the good work!!!!!!

:cheers2:

fowler

Reaction score
i dont think anywhere is big into karts but population rules when it comes to niche stuff
and if u can buy it with money then theres gurenteed to be people in america trying to sell it
the UK is good for parts as well, there and the US is where all my overseas parts are from

if the axle remains 30 dia apart from the ends that u get cut down then it should be strong enough
it will want to bend most at the bearings

if u can id cut it down to 1 inch as this will guarentee its strength and hubs will be easy to find

if u are taking it to a machine shop to get ut down then id get a threaded bolt hole in the end as apposed to a threading the axle
bolts a bolt hole is closed to the outside and cant get damaged
also a stripped hole is very easy to fix as appossed to a outer thread

have got pics or plans of this new kart
u have to show everyone

tombarr247

Reaction score
Hey Fowler,
Thanks for your reply.

I have always bought stuff from abroad, ebay is and has been my best friend for a while. I imported everything, from ear plugs to a wakeboard, from China and the USA, but the government here have clamped down and are smashing us with import duties on any goods over €20....
So i was limited to the EU, the best deal I could find on hubs was in the UK, but even still I was looking at £70 for two suitable ones, and then I would also have to go find new/different wheels!
If you can point me in the direction of something cheaper that would be awesome!
In the meantime I did some calcs (trying to recall any info I had in my brain from college!) on bending, and it seems like they should hold up to what I need.

As for the threaded bolt hole, that's a really good idea, hadn't thought of that to be honest.

I'll get pictures up when I am home! have the front end assembled and main frame (minus back end) built. Only mocked together for now as I will be stripping it down again for painting once all the welding and grinding is done!

fowler

Reaction score
ha i wouldnt be able to do any fancy calcs even if a had to

i just look at it and see the weakest point
then experiance tells me if it is or insnt strong enough

Status
Not open for further replies.