Question for the Aussie Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak99

Reaction score
Hi,

In case I can't source shift keys for my Transaxle, I need to have a "Plan B".

The common sense "Plan B" involves using axle, jackshaft & cent clutch OR axle & TC.

So I have two questions:

As my axle will need to be a custom length, has anyone purchased keyed shaft in Australia? If so, where from? (may sound like a dumb question but when I search, all I get US & UK suppliers)

Second question, ( not restricted to the Aussies ) has anyone had experience running a TC on a 2 stroke (mine is a modified 160cc). I'm only asking because every kart I have seen on here with a TC has a 4 stroke - I'm curious how a 2 stroke will behave with one.

The kart will be driven on grass & dirt.

A shaft adaptor for my 2 stroke isn't a drama, I can have one made to fit whatever I end up using.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fowler

Reaction score
I've used keyed shaft a lot

But the cheapest fastest option I've found is to get it cut by a machine shop

When they do it for u u only have it keyed where u need it ( of course)

I had a jack shaft made for our super spreader
It was 25mm by 500mm

It has three key slots in it and it cost around $120
Took them 5 hours from order to pickup

The cheapest option will surely be to ship them in

But that will take a long time

Don't know about other people but in my experiences it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get anything out of the US

As for the TC

What is the idle speed will the kart just run away

OzFab

Reaction score
The trick to finding thing in OZ with google is to click on "search tools" then click "pages from Australia"...

Here's one I found which is comperable to buying a shaft & taking it to your local macine shop, price wise.

The other alternative is a go kart axle (strange huh) but, again, unless you get lucky & find a cheap used one, it's still gonna cost you at least $100

CPR is one of the cheapest & best suppliers I've found & Paul (the Manager) is a member here

ak99

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, now I have some useful info and links to get started with.

I think I'll have to move on with plan B ( probably for the better anyway). Me and my stupid ideas, I should have used a normal axle in the first place instead of this transaxle!!

As for the engine idle speed, I'm not too sure. I do have a tacho for single cyl 2 strokes so I'll fire it up over the weekend and take a reading.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll re-post when I have an idle speed reading.

Cheers

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yeah- I'm a bit surprised myself. I had a good look around, and didn't find a place online that had the keys in stock and available for you... What a PITA!

ak99

Reaction score
Yeah- I'm a bit surprised myself. I had a good look around, and didn't find a place online that had the keys in stock and available for you... What a PITA!

No problem, I had a feeling this would be the case.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate your help.

One good thing is, when I built my frame I included 2 rails of angle iron which the transaxle was bolted onto. At least now I have a nice strong mounting point for pillow blocks for an axle.

I kind of knew this build would be a game of trial and error, this is just another part to it..

Cheers

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
The Victa will be fine with the comet style torque converter, their torque curve is similar to the 4 strokes it's designed for. I'd still do some tweaking though, I got so much more out of my scooters CVT when I fiddled with it. Then again, comets are an inferior design and aren't as tunalble.

CVTs and 2 stokes were born for each other. If you can get them adjusted right then you can get the engine to "sit" in it's powerband whilst the CVT does all the work. On my scooter I've got it set up so that the revs basically don't change between about 20km/h and 65km/h. It holds the engine in its powerband and makes it quite quick... For a 50cc Chinese scooter... So now it can almost keep up with traffic...

Of course Victas behave completely differently to your average 2 stroke motorbike engine so that's not really relevant. If you had a really modified one then that'd be awesome.

James.Ait.2013

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
If you are looking to have a centrifugal clutch with a shaft adapter I would recommend just buying one from GA spares from your local mower shop, my work bought it for $26? Roughly. You might pay through your nose for one if you can't get it for mates rates. But saying that I do like to buy things, especially if they are cheap if I need it and I can't make it I just pay what I need to to get it.

Here is the part number for it, CLL1573. If you are building a kart I would buy a #41 pitch 10 tooth clutch as you have very little ground clearance because of a reduced gear ratio with a 12 tooth. But I wouldn't bother about a TC.. With the right gear ratio you should be fine. And do you know where to buy a torque converter in OZ? I have looked everywhere and have found nothing local or even in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.