Question for repairing

Shmeaf

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently working on reviving my neighbors go-kart that looks home-made, to me. I want to replace the engine, already got the other parts to easily fix up the other rusted parts. The engine is currently stuck onto the mounting plate, the screws are stuck together and move as one whole when trying to remove the screws, making it hard to remove the engine. What tools besides a wrench and pliers could I use to help me remove the screws? (Hexagonal screws). It's been siting for years.

Shmeaf

Reaction score
Also, used DW40 on the bolts, thats how they got a little loosed. Also what's the best way to take off the tie rod? I'll upload pictures of the cart later.

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
I assume the "screws" your referring to are actually bolts so you need a couple box end wrenches or a box end and socket. Depends on what you can reach the bolts with. PB Blaster works better to loosen rusted parts than wd40 but you may need to just cut the bolts. You need to replace them anyway. If you upload a few pics the members here will be able to advise you much better. Good luck.

Shmeaf

Reaction score
I assume the "screws" your referring to are actually bolts so you need a couple box end wrenches or a box end and socket. Depends on what you can reach the bolts with. PB Blaster works better to loosen rusted parts than wd40 but you may need to just cut the bolts. You need to replace them anyway. If you upload a few pics the members here will be able to advise you much better. Good luck.
I have the box wrench set, I'll get the PB blaster in a couple days.

Shmeaf

Reaction score
0F8B74E5-571A-46B0-B9D4-DDFAD3130A2E.jpegThe first picture is the back bolts and the second two are the front bolts. The second picture shows that the front bolts are behind the driver seat which I tried taking off but the bolts wouldn’t budge.

Attachments

• 6FDC79F7-E130-4883-9751-13C22DDC3644.jpeg
    6FDC79F7-E130-4883-9751-13C22DDC3644.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • AF225D1A-E0D6-4FD6-9C3C-7EE62FE05D0D.jpeg
    AF225D1A-E0D6-4FD6-9C3C-7EE62FE05D0D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
Yea many things are a tight fit to work on when it comes to karts. Those bolts might be sezed up enough you will need to put a pipe or something over the end of your wrench (a cheater) to get enough leverage to break them loose. May need to use a 1/2" drive ratchet to beef up as well. Those look like lock nuts so they will turn hard all the way off. Once you get them broke loose you've got it made.

That being a Honda motor it might be worth rebuilding in your spare time if the owner will give it to you for helping him out. They are not to complicated and there is loads of info and video on the internet to help you out. There are many people building parts for that motor, they are very well thought of.

What motor are you going to put back on the kart? I just did a engine replacement for a friend my self. It was fun for me but I had to learn a lot as I worked everything out. I kept the old motor and I'm putting rings in it. They have been on backorder over a month. I am not planning to replace the crank, bearings etc. That's more than I want to take on right now. I don't even have a use for the motor right now.

Get that motor off !!!

Shmeaf

Reaction score
thanks for the info! Also gonna replace it with a bigger engine, more of a 212cc engine. 6.5hp or maybe a bit more horsepower than that, such as an 8hp engine. pretty affordable at harbor freight.