PVL Flywheel For Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Not sure how long Dynocams has been selling this flywheel for the Hemi Predator. It’s $40 cheaper than a billet flywheel and tested to 17k rpm.
They also sell the clone version as a suitable fit for the non-hemi, but say it should be lapped to the crank to get a proper fit.

Description

PVL is known for making quality flywheels. This flywheel is dynamically balanced and has been tested by PVL at 17,000RPM. The steel center hub adds durability to keep from damaging the taper. The center hub also has tapped holes for the use of a flywheel puller.

Specs

Engine: 212cc Predator Hemi
Brand: PVL
Material: Die Cast Aluminum
Weight: 3.8 lbs
Timing: 28 Degrees
Fins: 12

https://www.dynocams.com/item/dc-pvl-pred/

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I've seen that one before but never heard a word about quality or any kind of user review.

Plus, it's got what some might call an 'iffy' construction method; die cast aluminum. :eek:
That's exactly what everything else is, or was, up to the introduction of billet aluminum...

But hey, they tested one to 17K revs so it's gotta be kosher.

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I’ve known about the clone one for a while, but never seen one for the Hemi.

I’d assume it’s a lot safer than a stock Predator flywheel. I’ve heard from multiple people in various FB groups that have thrown the magnet from a stock flywheel. I’ve never heard anything bad about the PVL Flywheels. No news is good news.

Plus they are made in Germany, so they have to be of the finest quality, right?

Hellion

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard those reports too about the Chinese flywheels flinging the magnets off. Chinese junk!! :eek: :D

That's never happened with a Briggs Raptor (cast iron) stock flywheel because the magnets are retained so well... It's just interesting to read the karting forums and about the revs those old flat heads reached (I guess in the unlimited class) during a typical race. Stock cast iron flywheels, mind you, and this was before the panic and fear era of the Nanny State.

But yeah, should be trustworthy. I'll take German any day.

P.S. Tell Sid he needs to weigh in on the matter and take a factory tour or something...:thumbsup:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
But hey, they tested one to 17K revs so it's gotta be kosher.

Uhm nope.. PVL tested ALL flywheels that left their shop
and the import company in the US is required to test them AGAIN (all) to make sure none got affected during shipping

And if you search for it, some diy-karters actually have PVL flywheels.
and for what I remember: no complaints

fins breaking off? I bet the flywheel was removed with a mallet (worse a hammer) not a puller once.
it's still die cast not billet, thus a lot more brittle and prone to crack on impact.

'sid

PS funny enough, their original website (pvl.de) still does not list the flywheels [just their ignition] they show a flywheel on the "die cast"-page but 4stroke kart racing is still no german or european thing...
sooo...

anickode

Reaction score
Die cast aluminum is nothing to scoff at. It gets a bad rap from all the die cast pot metal crap out there (zinc alloys), but die casting has several manufacturing advantages such as being able to precisely regulate the temperature of different parts of the mold, more controlled cooling rates, and the ability to inject the aluminum under a higher static pressure compared to other casting techniques, resulting in decreased tendency for defects.

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
I run two of the PVL flywheels... Love them. I run around 7500 rpms. I heard from a minibike guy on facebook he ran his to 10K no problems...
I believe they are only made for the 196clone and gx200. I have on both my 196's.
Supposedly the taper is slightly different on non-hemi crankshaft and gx200 crankshaft. I read others who tried PVL on the nonheme but never followed up with it. An ebay seller advertises it fitting both engines... IDK.

Hellion

Reaction score
Uhm nope.. PVL tested ALL flywheels that left their shop
and the import company in the US is required to test them AGAIN (all) to make sure none got affected during shipping

Testing at the factory = right and good because that's quality control.
Testing at the USA importer after shipment = sounds like added cost (right?) and are we seeing that reflected in the price or why not?

Maybe they're way cheaper prior to import, like $15 a piece. :p

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
Wait... I just clicked the link and it does advertise as a HEMI - SMH... I wonder if they are now making for Predators - not just honda and clones now.

LawnCrawler

Reaction score
When I was much younger and my parents still bought my karts, I ran Maxter 100 and 110cc two strokes and every motor Maxter supplied used PVL flywheels and ignition. PVL is a world class name in kart racing with far more pedigree than ARC.
Most of us in North America have a very different view of karting than our friends in Europe and Brazil where karts are stepping stones into F1 rather than something to bash around the backyard on.

Status
Not open for further replies.