Purchased a Used kart. Need advice

Jclamb2929

Reaction score
I just picked this kart up knowing it needed work($175). Its a road boss cobra I think.. with a new predator engine that is uninstalled. Guy said it used to have a Briggs on it. He bought the predator but he didn’t have time. I’m a total newb when it comes to working on these. A few things I noted when checking it out after I got home was the clutch moves in and out about a 1/4 inch. And the back tires have a little wobble. Not bad but it is noticeable. A little research says I can shim the clutch? And as far as the back tires, Is it too bad to need new axel. It’s not terrible but noticeable. Just want to make sure it works safely for my kids. I still need to get some new tires and possibly replace the brake as well. I tried to include videos but it seems I cannot or I haven’t figured it out yet? Thanks!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Pictures work good too. The play in the clutch may be normal. Just oil the bronze bushing in the center every 2 hours of use. I would not worry about a slight wobble but anything over 1/4” would concern me. Get it running and try it out first.

Jclamb2929

Reaction score
Pictures work good too. The play in the clutch may be normal. Just oil the bronze bushing in the center every 2 hours of use. I would not worry about a slight wobble but anything over 1/4” would concern me. Get it running and try it out first.
Thank you Denny. I got the motor put on and it works great. The sprockets don’t line up good though. I’m going to take a look on my next day off hopefully. I spent several hours with it today. Learned a good bit too. Here’s some photos. 2 of the pics show the unalignment and play in the clutch. The other shows how the axel sprocket looks worn like the chain was running out? Thanks!

Attachments

• B51C00DD-5646-40A9-8000-C60C17931421.jpeg
    B51C00DD-5646-40A9-8000-C60C17931421.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 745BECC8-8762-4DCC-BF55-098BC4EF0A75.jpeg
    745BECC8-8762-4DCC-BF55-098BC4EF0A75.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 45CC6464-4D82-4841-8F38-92D8531CEFEA.jpeg
    45CC6464-4D82-4841-8F38-92D8531CEFEA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That alignment is no good, but you already figured that out. Try to slide the engine over. If that does not work try shimming or some other method of moving the axle sprocket over. The little side to side movement of the clutch should not hurt anything. Go to the Gokart Supply web site to learn about different drive systems and gear ratios. That’s all the advice I have for right now.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Your clutch is held by the crank bolt. They sell clutches that have two set screws well there Allen bolts. That would definitely allow you to bring that clutch out to the right alignment.

Jclamb2929

Reaction score
Your clutch is held by the crank bolt. They sell clutches that have two set screws well there Allen bolts. That would definitely allow you to bring that clutch out to the right alignment.
Thank you for your help but I did not see exactly what you were talking about. Maybe auto correct strikes again?
That alignment is no good, but you already figured that out. Try to slide the engine over. If that does not work try shimming or some other method of moving the axle sprocket over. The little side to side movement of the clutch should not hurt anything. Go to the Gokart Supply web site to learn about different drive systems and gear ratios. That’s all the advice I have for right now.
Thank you again. I rigged it up with a bunch of washers but I’m not 100% satisfied. Used 4 on the inside but I think I only needed 3. Going to buy a shorter crank shaft bolt and get rid of some washers on the end. They didn’t have 1.75 so I just grabbed a 2. It does drive though. Spent about an hour going up and down the road. Thanks. Jason

Attachments

• 4FAACF07-4089-41F2-A39D-F390888FE766.jpeg
    4FAACF07-4089-41F2-A39D-F390888FE766.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Thank you for your help but I did not see exactly what you were talking about. Maybe auto correct strikes again?

Thank you again. I rigged it up with a bunch of washers but I’m not 100% satisfied. Used 4 on the inside but I think I only needed 3. Going to buy a shorter crank shaft bolt and get rid of some washers on the end. They didn’t have 1.75 so I just grabbed a 2. It does drive though. Spent about an hour going up and down the road. Thanks. Jason
This is a photo from eBay. Even super cheap eBay clutches can be found that will allow you to not use that crank bolt. it is held by the key way and two Allen set screws. You can run these inboard/outboard and it would allow you to bring the clutch outward a bit and then just tighten the set screws. 7F011685-995B-4B81-A3A0-9F8D76FA5435.jpeg

Jclamb2929

Reaction score
Cool. Oil the brass bushing in the center of the clutch with 2 drops of oil every 2 hours of operation.
Got it. Thank you
This is a photo from eBay. Even super cheap eBay clutches can be found that will allow you to not use that crank bolt. it is held by the key way and two Allen set screws. You can run these inboard/outboard and it would allow you to bring the clutch outward a bit and then just tighten the set screws. View attachment 129950
oh nice. Thank you.

T.H.E Cat

Reaction score

Don't look like your more than about 1/4" out of line. Put you enough washers behind it to make it line up, then take the washers off and cut you a spacer to put behind the clutch that equal the washers.. You have to be kind of careful with using set screws in a crankshaft or axle.. I would just use 1 if you go that way and tighten it on the Key as to not scar up the crank if you happen to over tighten it. But since it has the key way maybe you want have to tighten it so very tight. Good Luck.

Jclamb2929

Reaction score
Don't look like your more than about 1/4" out of line. Put you enough washers behind it to make it line up, then take the washers off and cut you a spacer to put behind the clutch that equal the washers.. You have to be kind of careful with using set screws in a crankshaft or axle.. I would just use 1 if you go that way and tighten it on the Key as to not scar up the crank if you happen to over tighten it. But since it has the key way maybe you want have to tighten it so very tight. Good Luck.
Thank you for your help. Jason