Pump gas 87oct and 100oct pure gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
I have been hearing some things here and would like to have this thread answer some questions and enlighten us. Please post your experience, Maybe this is B.S.
So apparently 87octane pump gas contains 10% Ethanol and small engines boats and motorcycles engines do not like ethanol. And the ethanol gas will destroy your carb if let sit for a season.
WHY?
Also I have heard small engines do not have the compression to even burn Higher octane gas. But if you buy straight ethanol free gasoline it is 100 octane. and Expensive$$
Is it totally necesary? will it help solve ALL these constant threads where the answer is always "clean the carb"
What are these fuel additives: Sta-bil and Sea foam etc. How should they be properly used? every tank of 87 oct or just for storage.
I found a couple possibly useful or intresting links: Where to buy ethanol free gas:http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA
Another interesting read how to make your own ethanol free gas, by adding WATER! then separating it??
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rKxNV9dh7IYO5bbYQ&sig2=zLAlPRJst1LKkJoHa3BRIw
I am Hoping to hear from some of you Experts and smart guys, you know who you are. Guys like me are just in a garage and get all their info by reading and doing. Some of ya'll went to school, share us some of that book lernin. LOL
 

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Messages
6,622
Reaction score
45
Location
Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
And the ethanol gas will destroy your carb if let sit for a season.
I never had this problem.
I have a Tecumseh powered mower that I use once a year.
It runs well on gas that was left in it from the previous season.
Sometimes I go out of my way to screw things up just to find out that hearsay is just B.S. most of the time.
 
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Location
marion ohio
Seafoam cleans out all the carbon build up in your engine I'm bout to try it on my motorcycle engine it says its made of volatile organic ingredients but it penetrates the build up and allows it to break free
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,994
Reaction score
8,506
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
I always mix my small engine fuel with water and decant off the top. I sold and serviced golf carts for 12 years and was constantly fighting a loosing battle with fuel pumps and rubber hoses until I started doing this. I also noticed some makes of engines had problems with carb corrosion also. Seafoam helped a lot so did the Marine Sta-Bil, but in my book getting the alcohol out is the best solution. :stir:

Denny
:feedtroll:
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
I always mix my small engine fuel with water and decant off the top. I sold and serviced golf carts for 12 years and was constantly fighting a loosing battle with fuel pumps and rubber hoses until I started doing this. I also noticed some makes of engines had problems with carb corrosion also. Seafoam helped a lot so did the Marine Sta-Bil, but in my book getting the alcohol out is the best solution. :stir:

Denny
:feedtroll:

So do you decant off the top similar to the article I linked. Add like 12oz of water to 5 gallons of gas, shake, let separate and let the water and alcohol out, leaving you purer gas?
Scientifically speaking that sounded good, but it just seems so against mechanics nature to put water in your gas.
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,994
Reaction score
8,506
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
Actually in the olden days gas stations kept a little water in their tanks for the purpose of removing the alcohol from the gas. When the level got too high they would have someone come in to pump their tanks down. That's where I got the idea. Also about 5 years ago my little sister (17 years younger than me) married a chemical engineer (he works now in the petroleum field) and I ran it past him and he said 5 gal of water per 55 gallon drum. P.S. it also helps settle out any sediment in the fuel.

Denny
:feedtroll:
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
In my (and our) experiences (which are years of racing) 4 cycle engines, even the briggs do not perform any better with higher octane fuels. Period.

We've run test after test, year after year on a whim and the rpms, acceleration, times, nothing changes. 110, 98, texaco 85... don't matter.

But that's just 4 cycle engines. 2 cycles, different story.
 

DirtyDamage

New member
Messages
638
Reaction score
0
Location
Westminster Colorado
I normally run 87octane pump fuel, sometimes with sea foam and it's just fine. I always here guys at the track claiming and bragging about running 110 octane, and they still perform the same.

Something I've heard that different octanes at diff alts does in fact have some effects


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I run 94 octane E10 (10% ethanol) in all my engines; The only time I ever had an issue was a few years back & I found my 1.6L Ford Meteor ran much better on E10 than it did on straight unleaded...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top