Pulse pumps, lets discuss....

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
So a pulse pump is next mod I believe, I just don't have the "gravity" fed part.working...involving gravity with stock tank positioning with this carb...
Until I can figure out base settings for my tig. There will not be a new tank ...now.
I can tig at work with machine already setup. Just my tig has so many adjustments I can't get it to work. I plan to grab manual and buddy at work said he can help me.

So what do I need to know about pulse pumps? Best best to drill tap intake with a brass npt nipple?

Reactions: G.W

G.W

Reaction score
Ethanol fuel will deteriorate the diaphram, run ethanol free. This is a mod I also have looked at due to suspension clearance.

G.W

Reaction score
Guy's....

[insert school teacher hitting desk with ruler]

"get back on track, remember OP's question"......."also...this is not a hyjack!" ;)
How did it get off track? He asked what he needed to know about pulse pumps.

Last edited:

G.W

Reaction score
Nope got friends over :unsure: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thought process is compromised :wai:

Will read with morning coffee...and play with bike until mama gets up, then deck work!!
Yup, friends cloud the thought process when you're having fun. Coffee helps clear the fog, that's one of the perks of working in a kitchen...

Larry78

Reaction score
Alright, we'll get :backtotopic:

https://affordablegokarts.com/pages/fuel-pump-setup
Just dropping some info here, figured I'd do some EZ work and make myself useful. It at least answers one of your questions.
I'm curious - why would pressure be changing under the valve cover? I would think where the valves go through the ports would be pretty airtight. Maybe air leaking past the pushrods? I've never actually seen the inside of one of these motors.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I'm curious - why would pressure be changing under the valve cover? I would think where the valves go through the ports would be pretty airtight. Maybe air leaking past the pushrods? I've never actually seen the inside of one of these motors.
If I am being honest, I'm not sure myself. I'd say a combination of factors. Others here understand engines far better than I. @BrownStainRacing, do you know?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
If I am being honest, I'm not sure myself. I'd say a combination of factors. Others here understand engines far better than I. @BrownStainRacing, do you know?
It's coming from the under side of the piston.

When the piston goes from the bottom of the cylinder to the top of the cylinder, it's drawing in air, vacuum.

When it goes from top to bottom, it's pushing air, pressure.

It creates a pulse. Pushing and pulling.

Pop the valve cover off and look.

There's a small hole down between the lifters, this is for oil drain back, but also for air, vacuum/pressure, to move from crankcase to top of the head.

Also, if you look at around the 1o'clock area of the top side of head, you will see a hole smaller then a dime, this is to feed oil to the top of the head to cool and lube the rockers, springs, pushrods.
Theres also air moving thur here.

Put your finger over that hole and pull the rope, you will feel the vacuum/ pressure or pulse.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
It's coming from the under side of the piston.

When the piston goes from the bottom of the cylinder to the top of the cylinder, it's drawing in air, vacuum.

When it goes from top to bottom, it's pushing air, pressure.

It creates a pulse. Pushing and pulling.

Pop the valve cover off and look.

There's a small hole down between the lifters, this is for oil drain back, but also for air, vacuum/pressure, to move from crankcase to top of the head.

Also, if you look at around the 1o'clock area of the top side of head, you will see a hole smaller then a dime, this is to feed oil to the top of the head to cool and lube the rockers, springs, pushrods.
Theres also air moving thur here.

Put your finger over that hole and pull the rope, you will feel the vacuum/ pressure or pulse.
Thanks, I knew it was because of the piston, I just didn't know how the pressure got to the valve cover. I learn something new everyday.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
If you plan to run a vm22 it has to be a real one. the larger needle and seat from gopowersports only fits real vm22’s. maybe it was this forum someone said to drop the float level low enough on the fake ones. I Was in the mini Jeep forum awhile back when I had a coolster. the admin put a fake 22 on his with a pulse pump and couldn’t figure out why it was blowing fuel everywhere...