pull string is slipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisg3

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm having a lot of problems with the pull string to my 8hp briggs and stratton horizontal shaft motor. It slips more often than it catches. Is this a complicated fix? Thank you.

Attachments

• PICT0829.jpg
    PICT0829.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 13

Jblankster

Reaction score
i dont suggest it, hell i can even get mine working properly. i might just use an impact wrench to start mine...

2or3wheels

Reaction score
The hardest part is the spring you need to wind it tight eneugh so itll pull in and you need to the the ends into the holes, maybe is your coupler, take off the pull start shroud, look and where the pull start goes into does it looked spripped?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
easy fix.

here's the problem -- someone put oil, or grease, into the starter pull clutch. ALL THESE PULL STARTERS NEED NO OIL. Buy some carb cleaner, and spray a bunch of that into the little hole on the outside of the pull start thing. (After you remove the outer pull cover)

gustopf

maniac
Reaction score
check and make sure the pawls engage when you pull on it as well, if they dont take it to your local shop and ask for them (take the engine numbers.) dont feel like doing it? our shop charges ten bucks plus parts to do it so another shop shoud be similiar id think. and for goodness sakes unless you know how the spring goes in and comes out try not to let it come out :p the mechanics will laugh at you.

Last edited:

Jblankster

Reaction score
i dont get whats so hard about the spring... it took me about 20 seconds to figer out...

oh yea i fixed mine. its only using 1 and a half of the pawls lol. (1 of em broke but is still working... sort of. butthe other one works and it rotates the motor fine)

gustopf

maniac
Reaction score
springs arent that hard its just getting them not to turn into a birds nest, and as long as one pawl is working, and it turns the engine, if it still works, why fix it?

Jblankster

Reaction score
it dosent allways engage thats why. lol

i need to find a new carb or a full rebuild kit for a briggs funpower 5 horse flat head. thats the only thing keeping me back right now.

Jblankster

Reaction score
thats my problem... there NO numbers at all on it. its a old briggs funpower. its a briggs raptor's little brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.