PSA - Ackermann is worth the trouble...

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and modify my spindles to implement Ackermann steering after having my kart for over two years. It didn't seem like a big deal and was always on the back burner. Front wheel scuffing is gone. Wheel hop on hard acceleration and hard turning is gone. Plowing is out and immediate hairpin turns are in. All steering is more responsive. If your kart doesn't have it, it is worth the trouble.

20220710_181502.jpg

Naedjo

Reaction score
Do you have some before and after pics? I'm redoing steering currently and am interested in previous and after setup

66dellwood

Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and modify my spindles to implement Ackermann steering after having my kart for over two years. It didn't seem like a big deal and was always on the back burner. Front wheel scuffing is gone. Wheel hop on hard acceleration and hard turning is gone. Plowing is out and immediate hairpin turns are in. All steering is more responsive. If your kart doesn't have it, it is worth the trouble.

View attachment 133627
Doing the same. Look forward to the benefits.

Attachments

• E9CEF856-BC90-49AB-BE9B-991947A87B86.jpeg
    E9CEF856-BC90-49AB-BE9B-991947A87B86.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Remember that if you have leading arm spindles as opposed to trailing arms, you will have less freedom angling your spindle arms out toward the front tires than angling them inward away from the tires as in trailing arm spindles. With leading arms, you can run out of room and have the arms hitting the tires. Trailing arms may put your linkage underneath your ankles or other stuff, and be a real aggravation when sitting and driving over the top of it, but you'd have unlimited angle to get the Ackermann you want and need.