Pros n Cons of electric carts

LawnmowerMan918

Reaction score
Gathering information and materials for upcoming electric build project... my first electric anything, and wanted to hear from those who know some "pros n cons" of an electric versus petro powered.
...the main reason for my build is that [I was told] you can have 100% of max payload at once "at the flip of a switch".
Would love to hear what anyone thinks.

redflash

Reaction score
I know from the kart I made that the $130. 00 motors and controllers bought on e bay just don't have enough power for an adult. The max driver weight is about 70 pounds...they burn out from over heating. The next size motors cost about $4-600 and the controller is another $4-500.
so to get a serious fast and powerful electric ain't inexpensive at all.

Da Flash

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
...........I just enjoy tinkering on fossil fuel stuff. Pretty sure the build job of an electric would be boring and done quick with no further fun for me.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
I don't know, electric could be fun. so much torque. i've been wanting to build something electric. like a Harley Davidson with 5kw motor :)

but if you want fast and long lasting. it's going to cost you a lot in batteries, controllers, motors. Even if you make your own batteries from cells.

And i think pro is i can drive around block without a cop stopping me? not sure. i know my minibike is not legal. have to be quick when i play on it :)

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Um...IMO If ya run an electric powered kart, there are way more "pro's" than "con's"
Pro's :thumbsup:
Ya just flip a switch
...stomp on the pedal
...& gooooo :auto:

More "pro's" ;)
Ya don't have ta pull start 'er
...there's no dangerous hot exhaust or toxic fumes
...no fiddling around with a choke
...no more oil changes or oil leaks
...no buying, handling &/or storing of gasoline
...& no waiting around for the torque to "show up"

Con's
Ya can't "quickly" refuel the "tank"
...but, unless ya plan on running, your kart, for hours & hours, at a time
..."It'll be fine" he...he :devil2:
FYI: here is my ElMoto @ the 1,000 mile mark

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I guess what we are all trying to say in a roundabout way is. Build what you want and what will serve you the best. After all you are the one paying for it, building it and riding it.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I know from the kart I made that the $130. 00 motors and controllers bought on e bay just don't have enough power for an adult. The max driver weight is about 70 pounds...they burn out from over heating. The next size motors cost about $4-600 and the controller is another $4-500.
so to get a serious fast and powerful electric ain't inexpensive at all.

Da Flash
Um...I'm (kind of) an adult & I've used that $130.00 eBay (1,800W) motor/controller combo on several karts (with success, I must say) :bannana:
...the "key" is that they must be "operated within specified parameters" ;)

Ya just gotta gear 'em correctly, to avoid over working & overheating them (or "operated outside of the specified parameters")

* Also, keep in mind that an 1,800W motor is about equivalent to a 1.75HP gas engine?
...& for comparison purposes, has anyone ever had or rode on a 2HP gas powered kart? :devil2::stir:

Yup, for a "fast" kart your gonna have ta spend a few bucks :thumbsup:
...but, having a mini Tesla = priceless :wai:

Yup, ~$600.00 for the motor
...~$400.00 for the controller
...& don't forget the battery pack will be ~$500.00 too

**Q:
What does a Stage 5 or whatever upgrade to a Predator engine, end up costing?
...& then, what do you have?

A:
Probably close to $1,000.00 (if not more)
...& then, ya have a 6K RPM, DIY Chinese "grenade", mounted right behind your head :unsure::eek:

Here is a quick video of my Excalibur kart "doin' donuts" :sifone:
...not bad for ~2HP :2guns:

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Being able to drive around at any time without annoying people and have more than enough range and massive power as long as you are willing to spend the time and money is a huge plus to electric karts.

20211215_224436.jpg

PureNRG

Reaction score
New to the forum, but here’s my build. Absolutely the fastest thing I’ve ever been on. 110v, 900amps with a me1507 of rip your eyelids back

Attachments

• 465A524D-CBB2-4994-9327-10BBAEB19B31.jpeg
    465A524D-CBB2-4994-9327-10BBAEB19B31.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 72F57C92-ADA9-4EC3-B32C-3282D876B29E.jpeg
    72F57C92-ADA9-4EC3-B32C-3282D876B29E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 866A29A2-901E-400F-BFC5-4C1BC321A8CF.jpeg
    866A29A2-901E-400F-BFC5-4C1BC321A8CF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9