propane

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I have seen people convert their generators to use propane, but no one really would use it, gas is cheap enough. probably better performance too.

OzFab

Reaction score
It's been discussed but, I don't think so. Given the weight of a tank, adaptors & other required paraphernalia, it all seemed a bit like hard work...

ak99

Reaction score
Some Commercial floor buffers & vacuums are run on it here in Australia - usually Honda powered with a 9kg BBQ cylinder attached to the handle.

They don't do it for economy, it's so the machine can be used indoors.

It's a pretty simple set up, but it is costly and adds a fair amount of weight with the cylinder full.

If you had a liquid cooled engine then LPG would give you a clean running, very economical go kart. Not sure how you would go having a compliance plate issued though..... Also you would need a pretty good electrical system as there are 3 solenoids to keep energized while the engine is running, plus the other bits & pieces that go with it.

Food for thought anyway....

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I would like to give it a try, for fun. Would have to compensate for the extra weight with a smartly designed frame or something.

If we had a proper compressor for natural gas, I would have even more reason to fiddle with it. We have a natural gas well on out property(not the gas rights, and it free to a point, which we never reach)

I think it would be cool to do someday.

robbie

Reaction score
I know a guy in Topeka who runs a full size van on natural gas. The federal government has a rule about operating a certain percentage of their fleet on low-emissions fuels, so their normal fleet runs on gasoline and diesel, and they buy extra vehicles which they don't use, which run on natural gas. Then they sell each vehicle when it reaches a certain age and they buy new ones. My friend bought this van with under 20,000 miles on it. He also got a World War II era flamethrower pump to fill the cylinder from his home gas line. He runs this vehicle for a couple of cents per mile. Unfortunately he can't take it on road trips because there's nowhere to fill it.

Propane is similarly efficient. The weight of the cylinder isn't ridiculous, and it really doesn't take much extra equipment to regulate the fuel. It's basically a regulator the size of an apple, a small gadget that attaches to the engine intake port, and a couple of hoses. The reason I asked about it is that there are generally two types available for small engines. One type is designed for constant-speed applications, and the other type is suitable for throttle control. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with propane in a throttle controlled engine.

The reason I would even consider such a project in the first place is because I have lots of gasoline powered equipment including mowers, go karts, cement mixer, irrigation pump, rototiller, and a big leaf vacuum for making compost piles. It would be nice to switch things over to propane so I could stop worrying about keeping the stupid carburetors clean.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I would do a google search on propane generator conversions. There is alot of info out there on this with the hondas and clones.

ak99

Reaction score
I know a guy in Topeka who runs a full size van on natural gas. The federal government has a rule about operating a certain percentage of their fleet on low-emissions fuels, so their normal fleet runs on gasoline and diesel, and they buy extra vehicles which they don't use, which run on natural gas. Then they sell each vehicle when it reaches a certain age and they buy new ones. My friend bought this van with under 20,000 miles on it. He also got a World War II era flamethrower pump to fill the cylinder from his home gas line. He runs this vehicle for a couple of cents per mile. Unfortunately he can't take it on road trips because there's nowhere to fill it.

There is a similar thing commercially available over here, however the equipment cost is huge ( around 20k from memory) and as you mentioned, refilling is an issue. We do have buses running on CNG but the ones I've seen are Government owned so I guess the cost isn't a problem...

The propane setup I referred to earlier on is for one constant speed, you would need a different setup on a go kart because of the varying throttle positions.

As mentioned, a Google search will reveal loads of info.

OzFab

Reaction score
There is a similar thing commercially available over here, however the equipment cost is huge ( around 20k from memory) and as you mentioned, refilling is an issue.[/QUOTE]

Are you thinking of LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas)?

ak99

Reaction score
There is a similar thing commercially available over here, however the equipment cost is huge ( around 20k from memory) and as you mentioned, refilling is an issue.

Are you thinking of LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas)?[/QUOTE]

No, definitely CNG. There was a discussion about CNG on a car Forum I belong to. There is a guy in Melbourne with the setup. Come to think of it, the cost may have been more like 30k, not 20. I'll see if I can dig up the link, it was a while ago.

My Wife's car runs on LPG, I've had a few LPG cars old and modern. Her Falcon is tuned for LPG so the performance is great. The $30 per week to run it is the part I like!

BrandonF260Rem

Reaction score
It wouldn't take much to convert to propane. A Impco mixer, an ounce regulator, donut tank or small cylinder, battery powered fuel solenoids.

The only general hazards I've had are on some engines if you have any kind of misfire on the intake stroke it tends to blow the air filter housing to the moon. Need to have a good running engine to start out with.

As far as you not wanting to clean carbs, you'll just trade out for cleaning mixers instead. Propane can have solids fall out over time and useage and create a black tar substance that sticks the diaphram and bullet to the seat. You'll get to take that apart and clean it with solvent but no jets to clean. Just a bullet and seat.

It would also be really easy to Turbo or supercharge your propane engine. You have positive pressure on your fuel tank. Just a balance line from the intake (before the butterfly) to the top of the ounce regulator will keep your mix in check.

We have several kholer water pumps that run out in the gas fields moving water from tank to tank. They run fine when properly tuned.

YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.