Problem Taking Tire Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

New member
Messages
792
Reaction score
1
Location
Acton, CA USA
I'm trying to take the tire off so I can put a new tube in and the tire wont come off the kart. When I try to loosen it the whole thing spins. How can I stop the axle from spinning so I can take the tire off?
 

CaptCanadia

New member
Messages
792
Reaction score
1
Location
Acton, CA USA
Okay the break idea isn't working.

try turning it the other way, it may have left handed threads.
Yes it is possible.

No this isn't the case. I just took them off like 2 weeks ago. Also, I left them loose so I could take them off easily if something went wrong (just put new tires on) so the tire has enough room to wiggle. I can turn it with my fingers because the entire axle is turning. I cant tighten it or loosen it.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
I don't get it! With the kart on the ground and someone standing on the brake, you should be able to break the nut loose...

Got an impact gun?

Of course you don't- or you would have used it, right? But that WAS a hint... Put a wrench or breaker bar on it, and strike with a mallet. Again, 4 wheels on ground, helper applying brake.

If you have an OLD length of chain, wrap it around the sprocket and grab with a large pair of vise-grips. Rotate sprocket until vise grips rest against either a crossmember or the ground. That should keep the axle still.
 

CaptCanadia

New member
Messages
792
Reaction score
1
Location
Acton, CA USA
Alright I'll try all that thanks. The go kart is off the ground though. The thing spins even on the ground though.. ahh I'm confusing myself. I'll put a vid up tomorrow.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
How can it spin on the ground- the whole wheel turns? Even with someone locking the brake? If the kart is not on the ground, put it there.
 

CaptCanadia

New member
Messages
792
Reaction score
1
Location
Acton, CA USA
sounds like he lost the axle key and the shaft is spinning on the hub.

Yes thank you. I didn't lose the key I have it but I lost the key for my sprocket so it's gonna be cut and put there. Would it work if I got someone to try to tighten the one nut while I loosen the other?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top