Predator 670, how fast?

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
I keep looking at one tto use in a golf cart build, but how fast are they going? I'm looking for 30 mph or better.

Rat

Reaction score
I keep looking at one tto use in a golf cart build, but how fast are they going? I'm looking for 30 mph or better.
A standard Club Car generally used a 320cc-390cc Kawasaki engine...apparently they've switched to using 429 Kohler engines.

Traditionally Club cars are not governed by RPM, rather they are speed limited through the gearbox by the same type of mechanism as would be in the crankcase of any given equipment engine.

All that said some are capable of 30-32 just by fiddling with the spring pull weight on the linkage.
The primary limitation to their speed isn't really even the gearbox so much as its the heavy snow sled Spider style CVT just like my Kawasaki Mule has on its 617cc twin (FD620D)

Attachments

• 20240217_163124.jpg
    20240217_163124.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
A standard Club Car generally used a 320cc-390cc Kawasaki engine...apparently they've switched to using 429 Kohler engines.

Traditionally Club cars are not governed by RPM, rather they are speed limited through the gearbox by the same type of mechanism as would be in the crankcase of any given equipment engine.

All that said some are capable of 30-32 just by fiddling with the spring pull weight on the linkage.
The primary limitation to their speed isn't really even the gearbox so much as its the heavy snow sled Spider style CVT just like my Kawasaki Mule has on its 617cc twin (FD620D)

My Club Car has the FE290, which unfortunately is a clockwise motor. I've disabled the transxle governor and the ignition limiter. With bigger than stock tires, I run 18 mph and I'm concerned about overspeeding the motor if I go mmuch faster.

Hving sid thaat, I am looking into enggine options for a 1971 Pargo golf cart witth quad suspension. I would really like to find water cooled quad engine with reverse. Unfortunately, everyone around here thinks their junk is gold, and I don't want to pay more than a couple hundo for a motor. (I know, a new 670 is a thousand) I might consider a motorcycle engine, but that brings more problems.

Rat

Reaction score
My Club Car has the FE290, which unfortunately is a clockwise motor. I've disabled the transxle governor and the ignition limiter. With bigger than stock tires, I run 18 mph and I'm concerned about overspeeding the motor if I go mmuch faster.
I've worked on an FE290 on a bone stock kart, Id say they are pretty gutless overall except the one I had to put a new starter and belts on has started showing signs the top end needs work since.
I know the Mule 3010 4x4 is not rated for better than 27mph but with just the speed limiter disabled she'll get along around 32-35 until met with an incline.
Hving sid thaat, I am looking into enggine options for a 1971 Pargo golf cart witth quad suspension. I would really like to find water cooled quad engine with reverse. Unfortunately, everyone around here thinks their junk is gold, and I don't want to pay more than a couple hundo for a motor. (I know, a new 670 is a thousand) I might consider a motorcycle engine, but that brings more problems.
The FD620D is a liquid twin, and in my case it's stuffed into a 1350lb machine with H/L/R selectable 4wd and rear axle diff lock.

The transaxle is definitely a speed limiting issue in most karts because they are all geared for torque not speed but that big ole CVT doesn't help any

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
The FD620D is a liquid twin, and in my case it's stuffed into a 1350lb machine with H/L/R selectable 4wd and rear axle diff lock.

The transaxle is definitely a speed limiting issue in most karts because they are all geared for torque not speed but that big ole CVT doesn't help any
Tell me more about your setup. It sounds like what I want to do. I have an old golf cart and quad suspension, and I'm trying to figure out a motor. I'd love to have reverse if possible.

Rat

Reaction score
Tell me more about your setup. It sounds like what I want to do. I have an old golf cart and quad suspension, and I'm trying to figure out a motor. I'd love to have reverse if possible.
It's not my set up, it's a factory set up on a KAF620E Kawasaki Mule 3010 4x4

Attachments

• 20240217_163124.jpg
    20240217_163124.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240316_214753.jpg
    20240316_214753.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2