Predator 420cc Governor Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverdone

Reaction score
All mighty and powerful knowing small engine gods.......

Is it possible just to "adjust" the governor on a predator 420 motor? I am throwing in a stage 1 kit, springs, key, jet, filter, probably a +.02 rod, and building a header. I was wondering if it is possible to just adjust the governor and not remove it. I would like to get the motor to up around 5-6K, but that is about it. My wife doesn't really know the difference between a throttle and a go button, so I don't really want to take the governor all the way out, but get some more RPMs.

Any advice? Is this possible?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
They do put 3 holes.
So why would it be so bad to pick Hole 1 or 3 or even 2?

OzFab

Reaction score
A governor is designed to run at 3600rpm all day & tested to ~4000rpm...

You tell me, is your engine worth more to you than an hours work?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I just want to know why they make it adjustable. Is that for future use when say a spring is worn or a linkage is bent or tweaked.
For example your engine is on a log splitter or Chipper shredder, and it has been well used for 7 years and something aint right. Then the guy at the small engine repair shop can adjust the linkage holes get you reset at 3600 and your back to working?

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

This is actually a good Question from the OP. Due to his explanation. My Little girl is the same way when driving her kart. The throttle is either on or off. and if I removed the gov. She would not recognize valve float.

Neverdone

Reaction score
A governor is designed to run at 3600rpm all day & tested to ~4000rpm...

You tell me, is your engine worth more to you than an hours work?

After putting the effort in to making the clutch work right, and motor upgrades, it is worth the effort. Besides that it isn't just is a cheap motor worth it. My bigger concern is performance and reliability. If you run a motor to the point all the time of floating valves then you are most certainly going to destroy it, and when you do the question will also be what else was destroyed. I am a firm believer that it is OK to mild build an engine and not really effect the overall lifespan of a motor if the proper precautions are taken. Leaving a governor in place can help with that, but also leaving it set in the normal position will make some of the upgrades useless. I suppose I could probably use a limiting screw or something along those lines if I take the governor out, but wanted something more effective than that.

[/COLOR]This is actually a good Question from the OP. Due to his explanation. My Little girl is the same way when driving her kart. The throttle is either on or off. and if I removed the gov. She would not recognize valve float.

Thanks! She loves to drive her kart, but aint aware of too much with it when she is behind the wheel! When I put in the trans and new motor on her kart she was afraid I would make it too fast. I tried to explain that speed is based off of how far down she pushes the right pedal, she still doesn't understand that part!

OzFab

Reaction score
I think you missed the point: if the governor gear is only safe to 4000rpm & you adjust it to run at 5000+rpm, eventually, the plastic governor gear will shatter, leaving chunks of plastic floating around the crankcase which, eventually, will damage the engine internals...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
All the holes in the governor arm.....well...that arm is controlled by a mechanism in the crankcase in the engine very similar in functionality to a centrifugal clutch.

So...the arm WILL move when the engine hits a certain rpm....now....the little bit of difference in which hole you use slightly affects when the carb butterfly is closed....but not by much....

It's as you suspect...more of a linkage adjustment than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.