Predator 420 dies after running wide open

nderosa

Reaction score
I've got a yerf dog spiderbox with a predator 420 engine on it. It's got an aftermarket carb, header/exhaust, and governor/oil sensor delete.
It starts up with choke on when it's cold, without the choke when the engine is hot. Idles fine, doesn't hesitate to accelerate when I hit the gas. But after I run it with any kind of higher rpms and then stop it dies, but always starts right back up.
What could my issue be?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Is it possible the fuel bowl in the carb is emptying?

I think I’ve heard of bad ignition systems not working when hot, then work again when cooled a bit.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Maybe a clutch issue? If the clutch gets stuck and doesn’t spin freely when stopping, I think it could cause the engine to die.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I bet you're fun at parties.
Eh give him a break he's just a grumpy old man. He's right though, if you go back to stock it will probably function correctly. If you feel like messing with the aftermarket carb go ahead. Go through the basics like plug, carb, valve lash. Give us a pic of the plug, some guys here are real good at readin' 'em.

nderosa

Reaction score
Eh give him a break he's just a grumpy old man. He's right though, if you go back to stock it will probably function correctly. If you feel like messing with the aftermarket carb go ahead. Go through the basics like plug, carb, valve lash. Give us a pic of the plug, some guys here are real good at readin' 'em.
He's good. I've been known to be a little sarcastic at times.
l will hopefully have some time to mess with it this weekend.

Could the spacing on the ignition coil cause it to stall out like that?

nderosa

Reaction score
I am! Who told you?
Bob, I eat cats! I’m a dog kind of a guy!
Lol at least y'all can take a little bit of sarcasm.

I probably would go back to stock parts. But I bought it off of marketplace for $40 with the parts that are on it. It's was froze up when I got it but only because it sat for however long. But the carb on it looked like they installed it and never used it. So my guess is they installed the carb on it and couldn't get it tuned correctly and quit messing with it. The main jet they had in it was wayyy to big and the adjustment screw on the side of the carb might of had a quarter turn out before it fell out completely.
I had an issue with the bolts on the connecting rod had backed out, not stripped or anything which is kind of weird cause that's not something you typically hear about happening. And looking at the gasket I'm pretty sure I was the first one to pull the side cover off. But I can't say for sure. So I put a new rod in it and got it back together. It didn't stall out before that happened. But after getting all back together I'm now having the stall out issue. But starts, idles and runs fine otherwise. And fires right back up after it stalls out.