Predator 212 hemi or non hemi what’s the difference?

Reaction score
What’s the difference between a hemi and non hemi? Is one better or worse? How can you tell the difference between them? Mine has the shinny head but the manual has the other kind.

Reaction score
Also what cheap mods should I do? Should I switch the jets on the carb and if so can someone post a link to what I should buy. Should I change the air filter if so can someone post the link for that too. what gearing should I do I plan on using a 10t clutch and 48t sprocket what speed would that give me. I don't want to spend more than $50 on parts. (I already have the clutch and sprocket but would buy a different size if it makes a difference since they were free)

Last edited:

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Also what cheap mods should I do? Should I switch the jets on the carb and if so can someone post a link to what I should buy. Should I change the air filter if so can someone post the link for that too. what gearing should I do I plan on using a 10t clutch and 48t sprocket what speed would that give me. I don't want to spend more than $50 on parts. (I already have the clutch and sprocket but would buy a different size if it makes a difference since they were free)
Leave it stock.

Keep things simple, and reliable.

You gonna have your hands full with the rest of your build.

Reaction score
20231122_120139.jpgit's hard to explain with just this picture but it's all I have right now. I am using this wheel but it has that wheel bearing which I don't want. Could I weld it so it won't spin freely instead it spins with the axle? I also need a way to stop the wheel from going side to side because the axle is one straight piece. Could I weld a washer onto the axle so it don't slide? I don't need it to be reliable yet I just need to last less than half a mile at top speed then I can possibly change things to last longer.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Could I weld it so it won't spin freely instead it spins with the axle?

You could, but it might not be super ideal. You'd need to immobilize the bearing by welding it to the race (weld it all together) and then welding all that to the axle. Or you could drive out the bearing and add some kind of steel tubing or sleeve where the bearings were.

Leaving the engine alone is pretty good advice, it should provide plenty of power in your project. The "Hemi" means it has a hemispherical combustion chamber, meaning that above the piston it is roughly the shape of half a globe. It provides marginally better flow (intake and exhaust) because the angle of the valves. The other engines have probably what is commonly called a "bathtub" combustion chamber but it's still a great engine.

G.W

Reaction score
Since OP's question hasn't been completely answered, here is what a non hemi valve cover looks like, a hemi is cast and is more of a rectangle.
20231029_134824.jpg

The non hemi you are able to get more compression out of because it has more piston to valve clearance. The one thing I like about the hemi is it sounds really good straight piped.

Hellion

Reaction score
There's also a product number difference.

Hemi's come in a box with 60363 on it (the product number) and the non-Hemi's have (or had) 69730 printed on the box. I say that in past tense because I just read an older post on Bob's karting forum saying someone received a Hemi in a non-Hemi (69730) box. Other people in the thread said the same thing happened to them. Either that was a factory fluke or maybe there's no longer a distinction? As far as Harbor Freight is concerned, I would bet they are all "just 6.5 HP engines" in their inventory.

The real difference is if you have a hemi you get to wear the t-shirt.

Laugh if you want but that is the gist of it. The Hemi is "super duper" and has a lot of built-up hype surrounding it (a lot of it is deserved) but there are people that are big fans of the older non-Hemi design and use it as their basis for hopped-up engines. There's pros and cons to both engines but I have long since forgotten what they were, mainly because I really didn't care. It's probably just that the parts don't all interchange between the two, and a lot of the performance parts, at first, were made for the non-Hemi just because that was the only 6.5 HP Predator engine that existed.

Hellion

Reaction score
What should I use as brakes? Links would be helpful if it’s a new part to Buy

A band brake or drum brake assembly is probably the easiest.
Band brake (for example): https://www.bmikarts.com/4-14-Brake-Drum-Hub-and-Band-Kit-1-Bore_p_44775.html
Drum brake (for example): https://www.bmikarts.com/4-Internal-Expanding-Brake-Assembly-Brake-and-Drum-Kit_p_563.html

The band brake uses an external brake "shoe" or pad or whatever, and the drum brake uses internal brake shoes that exert friction or stopping power from the inside.

What size axle are you going to use for your Powerwheels Frankenstein-abomination? The axle needs to match the bore size on the brake assembly.... although I suppose you can down size the inner diameter on the brake drum (with steel "bushings" or sections of tubing) to fit whatever size axle you end up using. Nearly anything is possible.