Predator 212 direct gearbox transmission

skullcmd

Reaction score
Been working on a go-kart of mine that has this engine and the belt torque converter keeps on ripping through my belts, although it might be because the driver and the driven (I don't know the exact names of where the belt sits on) is not aligned exactly straight but it will still get super hot when I'm flooring it most of the time for over 30 minutes at a time, going through bumpy Terrain to 50mph on the street as well as donuts which I know all these factors can quickly build up heat in that area, not to mention its very close to my exhaust and the belt usually exceeds Temps that even I can't even touch without getting burned. It's a 40series clutch and I've tried looking for gearboxes that go from the shaft to chain but only found ones that link up to the torque converter. I have enough room for something like an atv one if that exists. I also have a problem with the engine blowing out of the carburetor, I've put a full exaught pipe one and even when it's off it still blows out of the carburetor, which wastes a lot of gas. Currently the engine is in stage 2.

Last edited:

redflash

Reaction score
Chinese (cheap) belts are absolute crap (amazon belts), they will fray and break quickly. All of us here have learned that you buy only authentic original Comet brand belts, yeah they're 45 dollars, but that's better than the aggravation of belts breaking a mile or 50 miles from home. get the right belt, align it perfectly, and the will last years without problems.

Da redflash

skullcmd

Reaction score
Chinese (cheap) belts are absolute crap (amazon belts), they will fray and break quickly. All of us here have learned that you buy only authentic original Comet brand belts, yeah they're 45 dollars, but that's better than the aggravation of belts breaking a mile or 50 miles from home. get the right belt, align it perfectly, and the will last years without problems.

Da redflash
Bought some Kevlar ones, better than the normal cheap crap and made really well but they won't last forever, with these they'll just get thinner and thinner till it just gets too thin rather than snapping with the cheap ones

redflash

Reaction score
your not listening.....Comet originals if you want them to last, they are specifically engineered for torque converters....anything else is for industrial use, and don't match the rigor of a go Kart

skullcmd

Reaction score
your not listening.....Comet originals if you want them to last, they are specifically engineered for torque converters....anything else is for industrial use, and don't match the rigor of a go KaKart
Still wouldn't fix the problem of it wearing down over a week, like I believe it would last maybe longer but there's still the problem of both the belt and the clutch getting super hot which will destroy any belt, and the Kevlar one I'm using is simply wearing away rather than snapping so unless the rubber is different between the two it won't matter.and plus I still want to switch to a gearbox simply got the extra functions like reverse and way longer lifespan even if I fix the belt problem. Not the exact model but it's the same brand 1PZ DB1-P30 30 Series Go Kart Drive Belt for Replacing Manco 5959 / Comet 203589 (Pack of 3) https://a.co/d/aWYBwxq

skullcmd

Reaction score
How Is finding a compatible gearbox for a predator engine in need of pictures of my engine which is 212cc predator. All I'd be showing is my engine along with a 40series torque converter. The torque converter does transfer into chain fed though

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
How Is finding a compatible gearbox for a predator engine in need of pictures of my engine which is 212cc predator. All I'd be showing is my engine along with a 40series torque converter. The torque converter does transfer into chain fed though
How are you connecting a 212 with a 3/4" shaft to a 40 series driver with a 1" bore????

Those belts you posted are for a 30 series.
They will not work on a 40 series.

Pics will show a mismatch part that maybe shouldn't be there.
Or maybe you have the right parts, but using the wrong belt???

skullcmd

Reaction score
How are you connecting a 212 with a 3/4" shaft to a 40 series driver with a 1" bore????

Those belts you posted are for a 30 series.
They will not work on a 40 series.

Pics will show a mismatch part that maybe shouldn't be there.
Or maybe you have the right parts, but using the wrong belt???
Oh yeah it might be a 30 series, wasn't exactly sure which one it was, but I'm sure it fits on, also pics wouldn't show because it doesn't have any ingravings of the part name but I bought it off Amazon. And again still doesn't help with attaching a gearbox straight onto the shaft

panchothedog

Reaction score
You don't want to show pictures. Yet you don't even know if it's a 30 or a 40 series converter. ( By the way it has to be a 30. A 40 won't work on a 212 ). Alignment between the driver and driven ( it's what there called ) is super important for preventing pre-mature belt ware and excessive heat build up, the very things you are having trouble with. Get your clutches aligned PERFECTLY, buy the quality comet belt and your problems will be solved. FWIW any torque converter, after 30 minutes of wide open throttle will be damn near glowing red hot. You don't need a transmission, a torque converter is a transmission.

skullcmd

Reaction score
You don't want to show pictures. Yet you don't even know if it's a 30 or a 40 series converter. ( By the way it has to be a 30. A 40 won't work on a 212 ). Alignment between the driver and driven ( it's what there called ) is super important for preventing pre-mature belt ware and excessive heat build up, the very things you are having trouble with. Get your clutches aligned PERFECTLY, buy the quality comet belt and your problems will be solved. FWIW any torque converter, after 30 minutes of wide open throttle will be damn near glowing red hot. You don't need a transmission, a torque converter is a transmission.
I ****in know it's a transmission and I know it's a 30 series because the belt os slanted on one side, calm ur *** down. And I've mentioned that I go through terrain which puts a **** ton of stress on the belt and even at low speeds it still gets hot. With the alignment it's damn near close unless my eyes deceive me and I'm not ****in spending 30 dollars for one belt rather than 20 for 3 that have the same performance. All tf ur gonna see with the pictures is a regular *** torque converter that cna damn well be mistaken for either or of the series. And with again a gearbox there's features, such as reverse that I would rather have.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Eyes are not enough, grab a straight edge. Something simple that might be able to save you $$$. I don’t know about a transmission.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I ****in know it's a transmission and I know it's a 30 series because the belt os slanted on one side, calm ur *** down. And I've mentioned that I go through terrain which puts a **** ton of stress on the belt and even at low speeds it still gets hot. With the alignment it's damn near close unless my eyes deceive me and I'm not ****in spending 30 dollars for one belt rather than 20 for 3 that have the same performance. All tf ur gonna see with the pictures is a regular *** torque converter that cna damn well be mistaken for either or of the series. And with again a gearbox there's features, such as reverse that I would rather have.
You’re too smart for us, I’m out! Why did you even come here?