Pred212 Won't Return to Idle

Sparkwizard

Well-known member
Messages
704
Reaction score
838
Location
Richlands ,NC USA
If that clip is still in place I would assume the washer is still there, too.
If the washer is missing, you will have a lot of play if you pull the gear back and forth on the shaft. If you have less than about 1/8 inch of play, I would not fight with that clip.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,206
Reaction score
4,186
Hellion, does the washer ride under the gear? Under the plunger?

Looks like the clip goes on the pin. That seems intact on mine. Just trying to see if I lost the washer too.

W.T.R. is right about the washer.

The clip goes on the shaft (or pin). It is a low stress retention clip and it may not apply that much pressure. It’s main function is to prevent the gear from falling off the shaft as you put it together (probably) but I believe you could assemble the governor without the clip (if you had to). The whole assembly is really held on the shaft by the constant pressure of the paddle arm resting on the plunger.

The washer is more important, it’s in there for a reason as it is a plain, smooth bearing between the governor gear and the engine block and it prevents wear and reduces friction. The governor is a small gear so it is running at or near crankshaft speeds, unlike the camshaft which runs at half the speed of the crank. Luckily it is made of high strength, low friction nylon and is bathed in an oil mist when it is running. Despite it being “plastic” it works well at normal governed speeds and a little above.

Good investigative work by going into the crankcase, F22. "Well, there's your problem" :thumbsup:

*Edited for clarity.
 
Last edited:

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Well well well boys, lookie what we have here!

It was in the sump behind the oil pump. Looks like it rubbed on something as some point. It is basically intact and it slides freely on the pin. I cleaned up the ID of the plunger, but I'm just going to re-install it and send it!

I appreciate all of the help you all have provided throughout this process!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250914_230443627.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250914_230443627.MP.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20250914_230447402.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250914_230447402.MP.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,206
Reaction score
4,186
🤯 It was where? It must have been hiding in some residual oil. Let us know how it runs, if it runs on reassembly.

:cheers2:
 

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Messages
5,082
Reaction score
4,516
Location
Southern New Mexico
Now the big question. Why did it fall apart?

Was the governor arm removed from the throttle linkage and let the bent arm spin round and let that piece loose?

Im still not sure why your putting it back. Most people take it out cause this happens and then you get unnecessary vent holes in the case.
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,996
Reaction score
8,507
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
Now the big question. Why did it fall apart?

Was the governor arm removed from the throttle linkage and let the bent arm spin round and let that piece loose?

Im still not sure why your putting it back. Most people take it out cause this happens and then you get unnecessary vent holes in the case.
And why are your fingernails and hands so clean? Are you even doing the work yourself? :ROFLMAO: :roflol: Or do you have elves that do it for you? Maybe one needed a new hat and tried to hide the plunger only to come back later and get it?
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,206
Reaction score
4,186
Im still not sure why your putting it back. Most people take it out

There’s your answer. He’s (maybe) trying to defy conventional wisdom or march to the beat of his own drum. But seriously, if he read that Doc Sprocket article or something like it, keeping the governor is a big paradigm shift in a world of ‘governor hate’ from the drooling masses that think it is a rev limiter. It’s a rev maintainer.
 

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Messages
5,082
Reaction score
4,516
Location
Southern New Mexico
Im fully aware of how and why it's there and it's function.
In my opinion it's just a disconnect from my foot to the carb. Its a feel/control thing.
Kinda like the difference between a slide carb and a cv carb.
Both are great at what they are made for but a slide carb doesn't have as good mpg and a cv just doesn't have the responsiveness.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
Well well well boys, lookie what we have here!

It was in the sump behind the oil pump. Looks like it rubbed on something as some point. It is basically intact and it slides freely on the pin. I cleaned up the ID of the plunger, but I'm just going to re-install it and send it!

I appreciate all of the help you all have provided throughout this process!
Get rid of the whole darn mechanism, and start enjoying life. By the way, your engine does not have an oil pump. Watch some of the " Red Beards Garage " video's where he works on the 212 engine. Not necessarily to modify it, but to get a little better understanding of what you are doing.
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
I'm loving this whole thread. Thanks for keeping it light with me everyone.
🤯 It was where? It must have been hiding in some residual oil. Let us know how it runs, if it runs on reassembly.

:cheers2:
To paraphrase Clark Griswold regarding your oil comment; "That it is Edward, that it is." It was basically just stuck right under/next to the oil level sensor. A pick and a few rotations and I was able to pluck it. Gasket shows up later today then I should be able to reassemble.
Now the big question. Why did it fall apart?

Was the governor arm removed from the throttle linkage and let the bent arm spin round and let that piece loose?

Im still not sure why your putting it back. Most people take it out cause this happens and then you get unnecessary vent holes in the case.
This engine came to me like any engine comes from Facebook marketplace ad where you know you're being lied to based on 2 seconds of conversation with the previous owner. But you make the purchase anyway don't you? Because it's too good to pass up and you can fix whatever it is.

In this case, I knew it was a homemade governor delete. They had the throttle butterfly connected directly to the throttle linkage, and the governor arm was spring loaded. How the plunger actually fell off? Who knows. Again, consider the clientele that lie on the internet and we can deduce there will never be an answer. Ancillary point, I should go take a photo of the main jet that was in it. It was reemed open to something stupid like an 1/8". :ROFLMAO:
And why are your fingernails and hands so clean? Are you even doing the work yourself? :ROFLMAO: :roflol: Or do you have elves that do it for you? Maybe one needed a new hat and tried to hide the plunger only to come back later and get it?
Lol. I'm soft as Charmin so I wear gloves. But in this case actually I just picked the thing up after coaching soccer for two straight days so I hadn't had time to work on it.
There’s your answer. He’s (maybe) trying to defy conventional wisdom or march to the beat of his own drum. But seriously, if he read that Doc Sprocket article or something like it, keeping the governor is a big paradigm shift in a world of ‘governor hate’ from the drooling masses that think it is a rev limiter. It’s a rev maintainer.
Get rid of the whole darn mechanism, and start enjoying life. By the way, your engine does not have an oil pump. Watch some of the " Red Beards Garage " video's where he works on the 212 engine. Not necessarily to modify it, but to get a little better understanding of what you are doing.
I like to leave the governor in any piece of equipment that came with one installed. I usually install stiffer springs and bigger carbs, but the governors still function as designed.
Typo on the oil pump for sure, but thank you for the correction.

I've gotten asked this a few times about putting the governor back, so just my perspective. This is one of those fiberglass body go-karts (a 1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy PaceCar to be exact) and, while I love the look of them, the fact is you have to be a small child to drive them. So, a 212 is already WAAAAAAY more power than any kart needs, but once you consider it can really only be driven by small children then I just chose to put it back to stock.

Second, I like working on stuff more than I like keeping it. So basically everything I touch will soon be going to someone else. And I'm not looking to invest to the extent of new springs and a billet flywheel. And I know it's not my job to protect other people, but people are idiots I'm convinced, and even if I tell them the governor is removed and that they need to keep the throttle plate limiter screw turned in we all know they won't. And I don't want to be the reason some 12 year old backs the screw all the way then drives an ungoverned 212 through his neighborhood. :)
 

Sparkwizard

Well-known member
Messages
704
Reaction score
838
Location
Richlands ,NC USA
I'm loving this whole thread. Thanks for keeping it light with me everyone.

To paraphrase Clark Griswold regarding your oil comment; "That it is Edward, that it is." It was basically just stuck right under/next to the oil level sensor. A pick and a few rotations and I was able to pluck it. Gasket shows up later today then I should be able to reassemble.

This engine came to me like any engine comes from Facebook marketplace ad where you know you're being lied to based on 2 seconds of conversation with the previous owner. But you make the purchase anyway don't you? Because it's too good to pass up and you can fix whatever it is.

In this case, I knew it was a homemade governor delete. They had the throttle butterfly connected directly to the throttle linkage, and the governor arm was spring loaded. How the plunger actually fell off? Who knows. Again, consider the clientele that lie on the internet and we can deduce there will never be an answer. Ancillary point, I should go take a photo of the main jet that was in it. It was reemed open to something stupid like an 1/8". :ROFLMAO:

Lol. I'm soft as Charmin so I wear gloves. But in this case actually I just picked the thing up after coaching soccer for two straight days so I hadn't had time to work on it.



Typo on the oil pump for sure, but thank you for the correction.

I've gotten asked this a few times about putting the governor back, so just my perspective. This is one of those fiberglass body go-karts (a 1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy PaceCar to be exact) and, while I love the look of them, the fact is you have to be a small child to drive them. So, a 212 is already WAAAAAAY more power than any kart needs, but once you consider it can really only be driven by small children then I just chose to put it back to stock.

Second, I like working on stuff more than I like keeping it. So basically everything I touch will soon be going to someone else. And I'm not looking to invest to the extent of new springs and a billet flywheel. And I know it's not my job to protect other people, but people are idiots I'm convinced, and even if I tell them the governor is removed and that they need to keep the throttle plate limiter screw turned in we all know they won't. And I don't want to be the reason some 12 year old backs the screw all the way then drives an ungoverned 212 through his neighborhood. :)
Amen, Brother! Well done!
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Idle is restored! Thanks everyone!!

And now I have apparently completely forgotten how to tune a carb. Is this too little or too much fuel? I've cycled through a .034 up to .038 and all of them do this. What am I missing?

Edit to add: Just tried an .032 and it died even faster.

 
Last edited:

Sparkwizard

Well-known member
Messages
704
Reaction score
838
Location
Richlands ,NC USA
Main jet should not affect idle like that. Your bowl is running dry. Remove the bowl and see if fuel runs out of the needle. Find out why fuel runs out so slowly. Maybe a clogged filter, pinched hose, tank vent plugged...
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Main jet should not affect idle like that. Your bowl is running dry. Remove the bowl and see if fuel runs out of the needle. Find out why fuel runs out so slowly. Maybe a clogged filter, pinched hose, tank vent plugged...
Tommy Boy this time.

"He's a big dumb animal, isn't he folks?"

It was out of gas. I didn't realize how far forward the engine is tilted so the tank looked full.

Took the bowl off and as you intimated, no fuel coming out with valve open. Lifted front end and it poured out. 🤦

So this is back with the 36 jet.

You can also hear (see) the clutch grab real quick. It had pretty bad rust in it and was grabbing a ton at idle. Took it all apart, scotchbrited rust away, and greased where applicable. This is 100X better and didn't do it at all earlier today. I'm going to run it a few times before messing with it again.

 

Grizzlymi

Wolverine
Messages
1,426
Reaction score
1,171
Location
Michigan
None of my chinafreight motors run good around here without a #36 jet. Glad she's running good now!
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Well fam, took waaaay too long but I finally got my fiberglass repair done and everything back together.

Yes I know I need to get a support under the hood.

Also. A 212 is such a horrible idea for little kids. 🤣

 
Top