Pred212 Won't Return to Idle

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
I feel so stupid, but can't figure out what's wrong here. Instinctively this feels like a governor arm problem. Short story, my throttle rod spring keeps opening my throttle. It won't stay closed at idle. Is part of the governor arm supposed to be keeping it all closed? The last pic where the throttle has a gap to the idle screw? That's where this thing lives. I can only close it with my finger. I see tons of videos about adjusting the governor arm at WOT, but I feel like I need the opposite. I need this thing to stay closed.

This is a new to me Predator 212 so maybe someone messed with the governor?
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250903_172728421.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250903_172728421.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20250903_172733893.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250903_172733893.MP.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20250903_172845195.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250903_172845195.MP.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 16

Sparkwizard

Well-known member
Messages
704
Reaction score
838
Location
Richlands ,NC USA
The governor should hold the throttle open when the engine is not running, and should close it when it is running.
When you open your throttle, does the governor try to close it?
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Which spring
Did you move that little spring to a different hole in the carb throttle?
It certainly looks wrong from my house.
Which spring are you referring to? I had to put it back together from Internet photos so it's possible something is wrong.

To your other question. When I open the throttle it will return to exactly where the third photo is. It won't come down to idle.
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
OK. Did you loosen the bolt holding the arm on your governor shaft? Ever?

Sorry, not what I meant to share. I'll find a good link.
Since I wasn't sure of the integrity i did exactly what that link says. Loosen nut, go WOT, rotate governor pin clockwise, tighten nut. No change before to after.
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Hope that helps you. Let us know, please?
Please try my second link.
@Sparkwizard I think I found it. This is missing the governor pin that extends, right?

So they cracked this case open and just took it out and they called that a governor delete I assume?

Does the rest of this look right still? Ideally I'd like to just buy that pin for $0.50 or whatever it cost and put it back in. But if anything else looks wrong while I have it apart please let me know.

And yes, I know that the governor arm right now would interfere with the crank and to make sure I reset it before I restart the engine. 😂
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250912_173857453.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250912_173857453.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20250912_173917044.MP.jpg
    PXL_20250912_173917044.MP.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Yes, it looks like that plunger is missing. It isn't floating around inside, is it?
I would replace it, too. The weights look correct
It wasn't glaringly in there. But let me make sure it's not hiding behind that oil pump.

Also. Plunger. Thank you for the correct word! :)
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,206
Reaction score
4,186
Was the paddle arm in that orientation, as we see it in your photo, when you opened the engine? It's flopping around loose between the crankshaft counterweights--not ideal. Part #3 is what you are looking for. Can't remember if mine was plastic or metal....🤔

Image 193.jpeg

  1. Shaft
  2. Governor Gear
  3. Plunger
  4. Clip
  5. Washer
 

f22beaver

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
24
Was the paddle arm in that orientation, as we see it in your photo, when you opened the engine? It's flopping around loose between the crankshaft counterweights--not ideal. Part #3 is what you are looking for. Can't remember if mine was plastic or metal....🤔

View attachment 156539

  1. Shaft
  2. Governor Gear
  3. Plunger
  4. Clip
  5. Washer
Hellion, does the washer ride under the gear? Under the plunger?

Looks like the clip goes on the pin. That seems intact on mine. Just trying to see if I lost the washer too.
 
Top