Pred 212 Electric start

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIGL

New member
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Has anyone done it? The way its situated in my front engine build, pull starting requires getting out of the vehicle which is kind of a pain. I'm thinking about adding some headlights so I'll have a battery on board anyway, why not a electric start as well? I have a spare recoil starter i could use to engage/disengage but I'm not sure how that would work yet.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
since you'll need a Kohler flywheel (for all I know) setting you back another one and a half predators... I don't know if anyone even passed "planning stage" tbh.

it'S cheaper to buy some other clone that has e-start (Lifan 196cc true clones for example)
than to just buy the parts necessary (when bought new)

'sid

Wait.. mckutzy posted a viable solution once...
 

anickode

Active member
Messages
2,296
Reaction score
75
Location
S.E. Michigan
Those 196cc dura-whatevers that home Depot sells are available in electric start 6.5hp

It would really be cheaper just to do that.
 

anickode

Active member
Messages
2,296
Reaction score
75
Location
S.E. Michigan
If the engine is in front of you, just take the recoil unit off and spin it 180 degrees so the handle points toward the driver. Reach forward and give it a yank.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Thanks 'sid. ya I did partly complete my starter....
I had eventually got a semi- decent drill cheap, I had a piece of plate for the bracket to mount it all and was trying to get small motorcycle battery... However life took a bit of a left-fielder, and stayed that way.... sadly one of the many shelved ideas(literally in this case)....
 

karl

Well-known member
Messages
2,449
Reaction score
718
Location
North east Ohio
install a long pull cord and use an eye bolt to locate the handle where ya need. Do as anickode said and rotate as close as ya can.
 

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
63
Location
California

TIGL

New member
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
I'm actually really liking the chain driven kick starter in the third video. I'm keeping that in mind for future builds

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Also, for my current kart, I will probably take another try at rerouting the pull start so I can operate it from the sitting position. I had issues with too much drag in the past but a jackshaft that winds up the starting cord when you pull and unwind a cord on a larger diameter part of the shaft would give some handy mechanical advantage. I'll keep y'all posted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top