Power assisted Wheelbarrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kale22

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Looking for advice on a powered wheelbarrow, I've built an electric barrow previously, but for 8hrs+ use the batteries would be enormous, so switching over to engines.

The torque of a small diesel is appealing in hauling heavy loads uphill. Alibaba has reasonably priced ones, not sure of quality.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...06.html?spm=a2700.12714957.0.0.71f67a31trnpR8

Would an equivalent 200cc petrol engine be able to haul 120kg+ load up a steep incline?

Would a torque convertor be an absolute necessity for either engine to operate at walking pace, even with gear reduction?

Cheers.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Don't bother with the cheap Chinese diesels. They're very, and I mean VERY poorly made. To the point of danger.

A 212cc Harbor Freight Predator 212 should do the trick. As far as gearing, I would just gear it way, way, down, like a lawn mower. There's some guy on Youtube that made a pretty fast motor-barrow.
:welcome2:

Kale22

Reaction score
Thanks JT,

Was unsure if the petrol had the grunt to get that load up a hill.

Can these be run for 8hrs+ a day, using lots of throttle up an incline?

Thats where I was thinking diesel is more reliable. But if the small diesel engines from alibaba are terrible I will avoid them.

jmaack

Reaction score
minimum order is also 10 for them. There's also that.
Make a build thread whichever route you ho with. I'd like to see it finished.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't bother with the cheap Chinese diesels. They're very, and I mean VERY poorly made. To the point of danger.
ALL? you sure? you tested them? you know all chinese manufacturers?
No.. bolt statement then, ain't it?
A 212cc Harbor Freight Predator 212 should do the trick.
And directly afterwards suggesting the cheapest chinese petrol engine available in your country..
What now?

Don't get me wrong, I would want to agree..
a low geared petrol engine is likely ideal
(much less weight than a similar power diesel and much cheaper and easier to source)

I wouldn't build a wheel barrow at all tbh,
I'd go for a mini dumper instead (essentially a four wheeled or tracked wheel barrow)
that way in case it cannot get up the incline in question and rolls back,
there's less chance it'd be tipping off balance.

Anyways.. how steep is that incline?

'sid

Kale22

Reaction score
Thanks Jmaac and Sid,

Having a petrol engine geared to walking speed, will it put up with a constant high throttle to get up a hill?

Series-hybrid also seems an option, having the torque/reliability of an electric motor.

Going for one wheel for the maneuverability, and have single lane paths to run on.

Looking to design for steep inclines, 30 degree area. Anything a cyclist can go up.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jmaac and Sid,

Having a petrol engine geared to walking speed, will it put up with a constant high throttle to get up a hill?

Series-hybrid also seems an option, having the torque/reliability of an electric motor.

Going for one wheel for the maneuverability, and have single lane paths to run on.

Looking to design for steep inclines, 30 degree area. Anything a cyclist can go up.

industrial engines are meant to run at more or less constant throttle (governor varies throttle depending on load to achieve constant speed)
for 8hrs a day.
So yes, it will..
and won't bother at all.

steep inlcine, single wheel, heavy load, you behind it...
bad idea!
but it's up to you of course.

30°? No cyclist can climb that unless you talk a height difference of 3ft or so.
Especially since there is no road in the world that has a 30° incline
(30% yes.. degrees nope)

OR do you mean some few well trained athletes?

Then be prepared!
Trial cyclists
have 90° walls to climb (moto cyclists even upwards of 6ft..
bicycles in the 5ft range isn't too rare)
would want to see you try that with a 750lbs wheel barrow ;)

Western roads are usually less than 20% (that's about 11°)
I think the guinness world record is Ffordd Pen Llech in Harlech Wales with 37.5%
(~21°)
followed by canton avenue in Pittsburgh, a road I always forget the name of in Hawaii,
Baldwin street in Dunedin NewZealand
and a few roads in california
(steepest is eldred street, highland park LA I think with 33% (18°) )
the most famous lombard street in san francisco only has an incline of 27% (15°) btw didn't even makes it in the top ten ;)

So excuse me, I think you meant percentage gradient, not degrees, right?

'sid

jmaack

Reaction score
Crazy idea but what about gas engine driving a hydraulic system. lots of hydraulic motors spin about 1200 rpms, then play with sprockets throttle tire size to get speed right.

Kale22

Reaction score
Thanks Sid,

Must be percentage I'm talking about, not degrees. So steep enough for large steps, mountainous terrain in general.

Was worried as had been told the petrol engines are not reliable at 8+hours, but it can be hard to find reliable trials or first hand experience. But obviously car engines can run for 8hrs no problem.

Jmaack, interesting idea...is there an example out there used to turn an axle..is that what you are thinking? Just doing research on it now.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Sid,

Must be percentage I'm talking about, not degrees. So steep enough for large steps, mountainous terrain in general.

Was worried as had been told the petrol engines are not reliable at 8+hours, but it can be hard to find reliable trials or first hand experience. But obviously car engines can run for 8hrs no problem.

Jmaack, interesting idea...is there an example out there used to turn an axle..is that what you are thinking? Just doing research on it now.

Engines are totally capable of running for 8hrs or more. That is what they are designed for. Just think of generators, compactors, etc etc. They have to run for hours on end at full throttle.

Kale22

Reaction score
Cheers landuse, I have little engine knowledge.

I should have added I am going for a small 200c engine, and likely not a well known brand but cheap no-name, or that predator engine that was mentioned before.

I had heard that the tiny 50cc and 80cc 2 stroke or 4 strokes shouldn't be run all day..but apples and oranges to what I'm talking about.

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Thanks Jmaac, clear now. Found a video of neat DIY tractor with hydro-motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcbdahaAscw

Status
Not open for further replies.