Possible new used kart purchase

USAMAC

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the make/model these karts are? I'm considering picking them up. The red looks to have a decent setup going on and with a little attention could be a great addition to my new hobby! The seller wants to sell them as a set for $350 obo, so I am definitely interested. Any info/assessment would be great!

1632147031052.png

1632146865538.png

1632147079849.png

1632147115460.png

Functional Artist

Reaction score
The one with the wheels both pointing outward looks like a Manco Dingo :thumbsup:
...but, they sure look "used hard"

Look over the frames really good (for cracks, bends, breaks & rust thru)
...if their solid you'll have good foundations to work off of :cheers2:

If you find any issues, evaluate if they are something you can fix
...& then, try to use them "issues" to negotiate on the price ;)

USAMAC

Reaction score
The one with the wheels both pointing outward looks like a Manco Dingo :thumbsup:
...but, they sure look "used hard"

Look over the frames really good (for cracks, bends, breaks & rust thru)
...if their solid you'll have good foundations to work off of :cheers2:

If you find any issues, evaluate if they are something you can fix
...& then, try to use them "issues" to negotiate on the price ;)
Absolutely sound advice! From the pics, the red one looked to be pretty good from the pics frame wise.. I'm wondering if I might get lucky on the engines, current owner just not knowing what they're doing lol.. but who knows, even busted motor completely intrigues me about them, especially the red.. I'd just like to get an idea of Stock part costs if in the event I'm gonna have some heavy work to do.

Welding I cannot do, yet, but I do want to get a welder to be able to and to get more experience so I can one day fab my own frame and kart!

Side questions: Anyone have any advice on a good welder to start with that would be good for Karts, similar to the topic images? I have done some tig welding years ago, but I don't know what size to get for differ types of welding.. is a starter type tig welder ideal for only certain gage metal? Do I need a 220v outlet for power or will a 110 be good enough?

EDIT: I have done Tig stick welding, not Mig and it's been 25 years since I did this back in highschool.

Last edited:

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Absolutely sound advice! From the pics, the red one looked to be pretty good from the pics frame wise.. I'm wondering if I might get lucky on the engines, current owner just not knowing what they're doing lol.. but who knows, even busted motor completely intrigues me about them, especially the red.. I'd just like to get an idea of Stock part costs if in the event I'm gonna have some heavy work to do.

Welding I cannot do, yet, but I do want to get a welder to be able to and to get more experience so I can one day fab my own frame and kart!

Side questions: Anyone have any advice on a good welder to start with that would be good for Karts, similar to the topic images? I have done some tig welding years ago, but I don't know what size to get for differ types of welding.. is a starter type tig welder ideal for only certain gage metal? Do I need a 220v outlet for power or will a 110 be good enough?
I am so happy I didn’t spend money on a big welder with tanks and all that nonsense. For go carts and small jobs even car frames a 110 flux core welder works. The only reason I am able to use electric start alternator equipped engines is because I have a welder and can fit the plate to the frame to mount any engine I want.15F6D0D0-3D0C-45A5-B2E8-1B01A46038A7.jpeg

USAMAC

Reaction score
I am so happy I didn’t spend money on a big welder with tanks and all that nonsense. For go carts and small jobs even car frames a 110 flux core welder works. The only reason I am able to use electric start alternator equipped engines is because I have a welder and can fit the plate to the frame to mount any engine I want.View attachment 129443
I was just coming back to correct my question about welding, I have done Tig Stick welding, not Mig! I am in the process of learning about the differences in each of them, thank you for the input about Flux welding, I will look into this!

Functional Artist

Reaction score

USAMAC

Reaction score
Yup, learn ta weld ;)
...there's nothing more manly than fusing (2) pieces of steel together :sifone:

I have used a Harbor Freight 90A flux core welder to build go kart frames, for years :2guns:

I just upgraded to a Titanium 125A flux core welder & it's Bad Azz :cheers2:
https://www.harborfreight.com/easy-...ent=&msclkid=2e5196cfb57c1523babbf787182240f7
...& built my Slingshot kart (outta regular old water pipe) using it :banana:
https://www.diygokarts.com/community/threads/slingshot.45461/
View attachment 129445
That's freaking awesome! Where does the motor go, in the front? or is that an electric motor I see on the back? I've not gotten into electric yet, still getting my feat wet with gas!

So, you're now using the 125amp flux welder from Titanium, I was just trying to decide if the $140 for the Chicago Electric would be worth it

Your reference and a quick YT search and I'm convinced the $60 increase in cost is worth the quality of the job the Titanium 125 provides. Thanks!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Yup, I agree, after using the Chicago Electric 90A for years, the Titanium 125 does way better job & provides cleaner welds ;)
* Also, the Titanium 125 is quite a bit lighter too
...like the difference between carrying a bowling ball (in a bag) & a lunch box :2guns:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
A 110vac inverter type stick welder, w/ or w/out a 50' 12ga. x-cord is all I use. Mine's a Klutch from Northern Tool a few years back, basically the same as this Ironton brand for $110, and for twice that you can also get a Tig torch kit for it. Plus buy a tank, regulator, and flowmeter. I didn't.
Ironton ARC80 Stick Welder with TIG function — Inverter, 120 Volt, 20–80 Amp Output | Northern Tool
Home depot sells a couple of 110vac inverters also for $112 and for $90...............
METAL MAN 80 Amp DC Output, 120-Volt Input Power Inverter DC Stick Welder-Arc 80T - The Home Depot
AMICO POWER 120 Amp 110-Volt Stick ARC DC Inverter Welding Soldering Machine with IGBT Digital Display LCD-ARC-120 - The Home Depot
Walmart sells this thing for $83, but I'm only showing it because it's the tiniest and cutest little welder I've ever seen....................
Carevas 20-225A MMA-225 Portable Digital Small Industrial Electric Welding Machine Household Mini Inverter 110 V IGBT - Walmart.com

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I would snap those 2 up so fast and be happy for the privilege to pay the $350.00. That is a smoking deal in my neck of the woods.

USAMAC

Reaction score
A 110vac inverter type stick welder, w/ or w/out a 50' 12ga. x-cord is all I use. Mine's a Klutch from Northern Tool a few years back, basically the same as this Ironton brand for $110, and for twice that you can also get a Tig torch kit for it. Plus buy a tank, regulator, and flowmeter. I didn't.
Ironton ARC80 Stick Welder with TIG function — Inverter, 120 Volt, 20–80 Amp Output | Northern Tool
So funny you said this! It was one of the welders I had originally sourced, coming form Northern Tools. I like the store so thought it respectable at least. It will make the difference to me though, if the Titanium will make cleaner welds

panchothedog

Reaction score
I am with Denny again on this one. That's a DEAL both karts for $350. Where
I live in Southern California they would be asking that or more for each one.