• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Pop up Tents

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone bought / used one of these? I've bought what I think looks similar from our regional sporting goods store, (Academy) but that seems like a fairly good price (w/ coupon @49.99...) Could be bigger, 64sqft isn't exactly 10x10..

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-10-ft-Pop-Up-Canopy-62897.html

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Huh... Maybe not. Academy has what looks similar for 39.99

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ac...de-10-ft-x-10-ft-canopy#repChildCatid=1051978

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't used the exact one, but something really similar. Mine doesn't have legs that go out at an angle. They go straight up and down. I have found that all the ones I have seen and used have the actual canopy slightly smaller than the frame, and you really have to stretch it to get it on. Otherwise they are great

Do do need a bit of help putting it up though. Doing it on your own is doable, but not that easy

anickode

Reaction score
Go to Walmart and buy the Ozark trail one that looks exactly like the harbor freight one. It's the same size and made a little better. And it's cheaper.

mckutzy

Reaction score
The steel legged versions of the retail verity are alright at best... They have a relitivly short life once any wind close to a brisk fart is encountered... So for the price... They're adiquet...

If you want some life to it for a number of years... Maybe a piece together temp garage... Those do last, but not a pop-up setup, defiantly a 2+ man job...

Texan

Senor Member
Reaction score
You get what you pay for with those. When I go down to the coast, and to the beach, there is always a pile mangled pop ups piled up by the dumpsters. Spend a little more, and get a straight leg version, much stronger and more coverage.

anickode

Reaction score
You get what you pay for with those. When I go down to the coast, and to the beach, there is always a pile mangled pop ups piled up by the dumpsters. Spend a little more, and get a straight leg version, much stronger and more coverage.

While they are more durable for repeated put up and takedown, unless you stake it or weight it properly, a gust of wind will mangle it just as quick as an el-cheapo. Once they go sideways, the legs are basically guaranteed garbage.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Which ever one you buy........... make sure you have weights to hold it down !!!!

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
for water side use the best thing I've seen, bring 4 buckets and straps, fill buckets with water for weight, when staked properly they can stand up to some pretty strong wind

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've recovered a couple that way, that were abandoned, just a simple kink in the metal. Welded a support on and it lasted for another couple trips. "free".

Yeah I guess I'll skip the harbor freight one. Cheaper options available. If anyone can rave about the HF one, let me know, otherwise it's the cheapest available.

Status
Not open for further replies.