please help with wheels and rims

Ross9418

Reaction score
Hi fellow DIY Kart enthusiasts. My name is Ross and I live Downunder in Australia. I have started my first ever project to build the "Granddaddy" from Spider karts. I am by no means a welder or fabricator in any way, but I really wanted to make this as gift for my kids and nephews and nieces before Xmas.

So far I have welded together the mainframe and will get started on the rear frame and steering this weekend.

I have had to order nearly all of the parts from BMI and pay a fortune to have it all shipped to australia :(
2 things I haven't been able to source are:
Tyres and rims as BMI are out of stock and don't know when they will have more. I have already ordered the 4 x 4 Galvanized Wheel Hub (Front with 5/8' Bearing) for the front and the 4 x 4 Billet Alluminum Wheel Hub (1-1/4' Bore) for the rear so can anyone help me figure out another way to get some decent off road wheel and rims?? Maybe off ebay or amazon that will still suit the hubs I have ordered? (Pease keep in mind that I am Australian and we use the metric system, So i do struggle todo the basic conversions back and forth)
2 high-back seats as the company recommended on the plans doesn't ship to Australia. I was hoping someone may have found some other ones which are suitablen from ebay or amazon...

any help would be very much appreciated:)

Anyway, I have attached some photos of the progress so far. It has involved alot of re welding as i am just beginning my welding journey.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 7.58.09 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 7.58.09 am.png
    584.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 8.19.17 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 8.19.17 am.png
    493 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220827_013256030.jpg
    PXL_20220827_013256030.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220827_010445984.jpg
    PXL_20220827_010445984.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220828_065638556.jpg
    PXL_20220828_065638556.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

Papadaze

Reaction score
I run these with 22x8-10 & 24x11-10 ITP Mudlite AT Tires. Look up golf cart wheels as they all use 4x4 wheels. Good luck!
BTW run a heavier weld bead around the hub where it meets the cylinder that goes over the axle if you run large tires. I spun one & I have the steel heavy duty hubs.

Last edited:

Ross9418

Reaction score
I run these with 22x8-10 & 24x11-10 ITP Mudlite AT Tires. Look up golf cart wheels as they all use 4x4 wheels. Good luck!
BTW run a heavier weld bead around the hub where it meets the cylinder that goes over the axle if you run large tires. I spun one & I have the steel heavy duty hubs.

Fantastic Papadaze, I will try to sourse something similar to those ones as they dont ship to Australia

redflash

Reaction score
what size motor are you using ? Those tires seem awfully large for a 212 or even a 224.

Da redFlash

redflash

Reaction score
Good enough, that should turn em........does the toilet really swirl the wrong way down there ?

Da Redflash

TNThomas

Reaction score
I am sure you will find a pair, but just an odd idea: you could always get a hub adapter off of ebay. Four should run stound $40usd, and you could get a 4x4 to whatever bolt pattern you already have. Not ideal, but good enough to go from 4x4 bolt pattern, to maybe a 5 lug pattern that you might have tires/wheels laying around. You will find a setup! Im sure the kids wont complain.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I thought just the water swirled around backwards in the sinks? And just what are you guys “Down Under”? Ain’t the kangaroos an awfully bumpy ride? And it’s not spelled tyres it’s spelled tires. And cars don’t have bonnets that’s what girls wear to church on Sunday. Cars have hoods and deck lids or trunk lids.
Wow that felt good to get out!
And who said you can’t fabricate? It looks like you are doing one heck of a job so far. Golf karts are your best source of rims and cheapest too!

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Do they play golf in Australia? Do they start at the 18th hole and work to the 1st? And don't mention that Norman fella, he was actually not a human.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Have you tried Jegs or Summit racing in the States. 4x4 wheels 8” in diameter 7” or 8” wide can’t be that hard to find down there. Call different golf courses, they’ll probably give you a set for cheap to free with worn out tires on them.

Ross9418

Reaction score
thank you so much for your help, I managed to source some rims last night which is great. The last think I have left to case down in some seats. I tried BMI and JEGS with no luck. I was hoping fo a simple bucket seat that isn't too expensive. Does anyone know where I may be able get 2. I wand bucket seat as all of my nieces, nephews will be riding it and their parents want them to have a harness.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If Summit Racing doesn’t pan out (I think they ship to Australia) I would try someplace over there that sells Drag Racing equipment for cars. Jazz is the company that makes the seats and padded covers for them. Good luck and turn this into a build thread!

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score

I put a seat at Summit in my cart and calculated the shipping to Brisbane (just a guess). A USD$64 seat totalled USD$460 with shipping. Not a value.