Picked Up A TRX125 Fourtrax

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
On my weekend yard sale shopping I found a 1985 TRX125 quad. I paid $200 cash for it. It runs very good and has ES and reverse that works great. No smoke at all. Rear plastic is very nice.

The bad? Brakes both front and back brakes were stuck solid. The front plastic is cut and cracked pretty bad. Seat needs a new cover. All 3 sets of brake shoes were like 95% gone. Front bumper is bent as well as the bars.

I was able to save all the cables but the front cable assy. Being it is a split cable with a small chain to pull both cables it was not cheap. I spent another $100 on cables and 3 sets of brake shoes to restore the complete brake system. The front cable assy was $52 plus $10 shipping.

I am thiking this bike sat forever and froze the brakes solid. They got it running and could not ride it for it has no brakes. I know brakes and cables do not lock like that if it was not sitting for a long time. I was happy to see the battery takes a charge though. They must have replaced that as well.

So I have $300 into this little guy. I will replace the front plastics when the right deal pops up. I have Ody tires that will fit the front. So when all said and done I will have about $400 into it.

I love finding deals like this. This will make a fun toy for my wife and nephews to ride. Also great trade bait if something pops up I really want. And I can use it to tow Ody's when and if they break down.

Anyway here are some pics. The plastic is just siting on the frame. I was pressure washing it all yesterday. about a half days work and she will be running perfect. Makes you wonder why people let toys get like this? But I like it when I find them.:wai:

HArd to amagine but I think it is a low hours bike. Original tires on the front. Foot pegs show little wear on the rubber. Chain and sprockets look very good. These pics are after about an hour pressure washing. It was really dirty under the plastics.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG5362.jpg
    CIMG5362.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 44
  • CIMG5363.jpg
    CIMG5363.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 37
  • CIMG5364.jpg
    CIMG5364.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 40
  • CIMG5365.jpg
    CIMG5365.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 32
  • CIMG5366.jpg
    CIMG5366.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 222
  • CIMG5367.jpg
    CIMG5367.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 42

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
has no suspension. right? those things are tanks. not much can kill them.

No suspension at all. Tires is all it gives you.

Took the back brake drum off and about a cup of dirt came out. Had to put a cressent wrench on the brake arm to just get it to move. Some Kroil oil and it freed right up.

Now it is a parts waiting game. Although I have that parts Ody that may have a good set of shoes. They use the same set. Ody brake shoes last a long time for it is just a parking brake. If I am lucky I may be able to ride it with brakes tomorrow. Rear brakes anyway.
 

karl

Well-known member
Messages
2,449
Reaction score
718
Location
North east Ohio
I bought this 1985 trx125 for $75. It smoked and needed re-built. Bad shape. I took off the motor to rebuild it, lost interest, no money, sold it for $125.
 

Attachments

  • trx 125 001.jpg
    trx 125 001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 31

slideways

New member
Messages
575
Reaction score
6
We had one of those as our first 4 wheeler. It would randomly destroy 2nd gear and get stuck in that gear. Had it to an atv shop to fix it and $700 later it broke in a week again. No abuse or anything.. we were just kids. My dad now hates all ATV's and would never buy one.
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
We had one of those as our first 4 wheeler. It would randomly destroy 2nd gear and get stuck in that gear. Had it to an atv shop to fix it and $700 later it broke in a week again. No abuse or anything.. we were just kids. My dad now hates all ATV's and would never buy one.

That sucks. Hope I have better luck with this one. I am not a engine fix guy. From what I am reading there pretty solid bikes. From what I can see it's just a 3 wheeler with 4 wheels. Pretty basic as basic can get.

I did ride this one with no brakes. All the gears worked good as did reverse. Out of all the brake shoes about 2% was leff from all of them.

The front end would work great on a kart. Easy to widen as well. And you would have front brakes. If it blows I will use it for something for sure. You can get these complete front ends with brakes pretty cheap on ebay.
Here is one with brakes for $60 with brakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...754767QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Another for $80 with brakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOND...754767QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thats pretty cheap if your looking for yard kart buggy with front brakes.

 

Attachments

  • !Bw(kCBQBmk~$(KGrHqR,!ioEv1+0FrOJBMIm)kqyug~~_12.jpg
    !Bw(kCBQBmk~$(KGrHqR,!ioEv1+0FrOJBMIm)kqyug~~_12.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 15

Rust Addict

Complete Hack
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
These light weight machines can float across ponds and rediculously deep mud holes. NO RIDER. They will run with water up to the seat, and the spinning of the tires does provide enough wake to power them along. Crazy tough machines. If you take them swimming, drill a drain hole in the rear axle carrier, and put a grease zerk in the top so you can keep the bearings greased , NOT FULL OF WATER. Take that sealed chain case to the dump, cause you'll never tention it or oil it boxed in like that. One last thing, the drive sproket is a bastard to replace due to the revese gear box on the shaft, don't run a streched chain or you'll be replacing that drive sproket and shaft. I think the shaft-sproket will cost you a hundred or so and you've got get inside the transmission to change it out. All in all, crazy tough beginner ATV.
 

maxpower49

Member
Messages
116
Reaction score
1
Location
Up-State New York
I also got a project atv the other week for $200, I have though about posting pictures but have been too busy working, on the four wheeler and at my job to actually get around to it. Mine is a 1999 yamaha banshee it dosn't have the origonal engine that was a 350 twin but it has a yz 250 2 stroke in it. so far I replaced the lower A-arms, bought a front bumper, I am waiting for some parts to rebuild the carb, and I am going to need some wheels and tires for it and so far I have put about $100 into it and all I need are the tires and rims.
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
I am still alive. Ready to start my winter projects soon. I have an 200x three wheeler to get running for my friend. Then I am going to start y yellow Ody racer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top