PHOTOS OF ARACHNID

redflash

Reaction score
OKAY here is one full shotof the arachnid..,,,,one shot of front double wishbone suspension....one shot of rear suspension....one shot of motor and moon gas tank.......and 3 shots of the mazda miata differential for full floating rear axle I built with axle stubs. by the way this beast is from exhaust stinger to front nine foot long...I extended the plans by about 12 inches so an adult will fit.

Da Flash
20210717_101142.jpg20210903_134457 (1).jpg20210903_134437.jpg20210903_134431.jpg20210903_134557.jpg20210903_134614.jpg20210903_134626.jpg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Hot dingus dang, son! Great job, good looking kart, very clean. Welds ground pretty, many extra cable clamps, header insulated, non-hemi 212 breather filtered uphill, choke/gas stickers added, good throttle return spring added (not very tight though), steering shaft cotter pinned for easy removal, good 3-point harness, etc.
Those are the kind of finicky things I like to do all the time, functionality before all else. All that praise being laid on................Let me just point to a couple of other finicky things I like to do..............
.............The recommended stock front springs aren't right for me. I see a whole lot of travel in those A-arms that can't be used because of the small travel shocks. I'd put in longer shocks which would give more ground clearance as soon as they're installed, and the shocks would have long travel compression that would give at least a foot of travel at the tires contact patch. I'll attach pics of my 17" gas adjustable coilovers and 15.5"-25.75" air shocks, way more than you could fit on there, but you'll see what I mean, huge travel................
................There's open ends on your square tubes, which lets rain and garden hose washing inside of course, but who cares. I care about climbing in there, buckling up, and finding out there's a couple of wasp nests built in there. Ouchie. Ignore my pic showing a couple of open ends, all now have a 1.5" square of steel welded on............
The plans leave out any opposed diagonal (truss) bracing between the upper and lower frame side tubes. You're not climbing into the seat between those tubes. I'd load those spaces up with opposed diagonal bracing, which would automatically double or triple the long sides strength against flexing and bending. You could still do that even now.
BTW: If you don't even touch it anymore, you've still got a really great kart. Please say you don't leave that carb open to the atmosphere (wasps) without a filter on it, much less crank it up without one.

Attachments

• 100_0172.JPG
    100_0172.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210710_163030 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210710_163030 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6

redflash

Reaction score
Well I do keep a foam air cleaner on the carb...but no wasps where I live. Murder hornets some day though. Cant get longer shocks in the space, but if I can find different springs with less coils, that would give me 1/2 to 1 inch more travel. I really think the hi point is the mazda miata diff that had the ring gear removed and a sprocket to replace it so that I have independant wheel turn in the rear axle. A guy on youtube gives step by step instructions on exactly how the alter the mazda differential,. As regards strength, I don't intend to jump the grand canyon, so I think the thing is heavy enough. Thanks for the comments

Da flash

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
See pics below of my unfinished front end, way back before cutting it all off. You can see there's a rectangle section of heavy steel with half of itself sitting on and attached to the kart's front frame, and half sticking out the front. On top of that you can see the flat-topped square section that has the tops of the Monroe MA775 air shocks attached to it.
That setup can have the kart's deck 15" off the ground with a driver sitting in it, drop it down until it's laying on the ground, and be anywhere in-between, and built strong enough to crash down from big air off a sand dune without a squeak.
How to get lots of extra travel? Purposely adding all that steel to create a "shock tower" tall enough to allow attachment of air shocks that extend to 25.75". You can also put big shocks on your kart at your angle choice of attachment to control travel by just cutting off the plan's mounts and welding on some steel sticking up higher. Shocks of your choice, as much travel as you want to put in it. Hope this inspires you.
P.S.: You wouldn't want my big ole air shocks, but here's the link to a pair of them w/tubing kit so you can see how little they cost.
Amazon.com: Monroe Shocks & Struts Max-Air MA775 Shock Absorber : Automotive
Also attaching (again) pic of swingarm shocks' cantilevered setup that creates diminishing resistance travel (opposite action), and an early pic of the 2' rear bumper travel when the frame was just being laid out.
All so you can see it's not a capital punishment crime to veer off from a set of plans to get whatever you want.

Attachments

• 100_0168.JPG
    100_0168.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 100_0164.JPG
    100_0164.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 100_0170.JPG
    100_0170.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200114_142349.jpg
    IMG_20200114_142349.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9

ThunderKart79

Reaction score
I am still trying to understand the benefit of running a deff rear end in a cart. Unless you gain independent rear suspension a deff robs a lot of power so I can’t understand why you would give up performance just to lose traction on a off road machine. You did awesome work your machine is a mean looking hot rod that would be amazing with my 460 in it. EC carburetors now sells a Wildcat 460 for less then $400. You could put 1500 in any small block and you might get more top end then the BB but that Wildcat 460 would probably make your cart wheelie bone stock. I wasted a lot of money trying to make a small block make me grin when I hit the gas on my Mannco express magnum. After buying a 460 and turning it into a fire breathing billet monster I figured out small blocks are awesome in mini bikes.