patching a turf tire?

miniblazinbmx

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. need a little help. So i picked out some metal from our tire this past weekend and removed and patched this tire 3x now and it still leaks.. apparently I can build anything but cant handle a tire patch. Has anyone ever successfully patched a 2 ply 18" turf tire for a go kart or mower? I didnt wana use slime or add a tube.. but I have never run into this issue patching tires. I thought I had bad cement and tried another brand. Now I'm $30 and over 3 hours into this with no avail. Any suggestions?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
How big is the hole? Tires can be tricky to patch sometimes. I get all my supplies at NAPA. You can use a mechanical tire buffer but I prefer the liquid. It seems to get the spot cleaner.

Clean area to be patched thoroughly. Do an area larger than the patch. Let dry thoroughly.
Apply a thin layer of the tire patch glue to the area you just cleaned and let it dry.
Using a patch much larger than hole but slightly smaller than the area you cleaned. Peel off blue protective covering the sticky side of patch, but do not touch it anywhere! Lay sticky side of patch on glued (dried) area, hole centered in patch.
Use knurled wheel or handle of a small screwdriver to work from the center of patch outward pushing down firmly until all of patch has been stitched down firmly. Especially the edges, then peel off clear plastic cover. Let rest an hour then remount tire.
That’s it your done! If the hole is bigger than 1/4” I recommend patching and tube or replacing tire with new. I prefer 4 ply tires their tougher and harder to puncture off road.

miniblazinbmx

Reaction score
How big is the hole? Tires can be tricky to patch sometimes. I get all my supplies at NAPA. You can use a mechanical tire buffer but I prefer the liquid. It seems to get the spot cleaner.

Clean area to be patched thoroughly. Do an area larger than the patch. Let dry thoroughly.
Apply a thin layer of the tire patch glue to the area you just cleaned and let it dry.
Using a patch much larger than hole but slightly smaller than the area you cleaned. Peel off blue protective covering the sticky side of patch, but do not touch it anywhere! Lay sticky side of patch on glued (dried) area, hole centered in patch.
Use knurled wheel or handle of a small screwdriver to work from the center of patch outward pushing down firmly until all of patch has been stitched down firmly. Especially the edges, then peel off clear plastic cover. Let rest an hour then remount tire.
That’s it your done! If the hole is bigger than 1/4” I recommend patching and tube or replacing tire with new. I prefer 4 ply tires their tougher and harder to puncture off road.
the hole is maybe 1/64"-1/32".. and yeah thanks for the response.. I guess I did to it correctly for the most part.. weird. Mess with it more tomorrow..

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Use the liquid tire buffer it will help clean off the old glue without too much scraping. I have been fixing tires and tubes like that for 47 or more years.

pearl111

Reaction score

Thanks Denny, can I use this technique on innertubes also?
Innertubes always give me a fit when I try to repair.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
What is liquid tire buffer?

Look at the insane efforts these guys take to repairing what Westerners might otherwise call a disposable truck tire. I imagine the tire was indeed cast aside and replaced with a new one by the original owner and this one was picked up from the scrap bin to repair and sell...

Million dollar, meticulous job on that tire and I imagine it could last 10,000 miles on the repair.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Thanks Denny, can I use this technique on innertubes also?
Innertubes always give me a fit when I try to repair.
Yes, the exact same procedure.
You can get liquid tire or rubber buffer from any Tec-2way tire repair dealer or NAPA. It cleans the rubber without harming it.

pearl111

Reaction score
Hellion, the vid. was unbelievable I'll never complain again the next time I fix a tire.
I wasn't wearing my safety glasses ether when I watched the video, I got an eye full
dust and debris.
How'd they do that.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Still don't know what type hole you've got, nail puncture, slice, other. I've had good success with the proper prep and application of high quality tire plugs (not for a slice) that get trimmed off on the inside of the tire before doing a quality patch job over it as Denny described.