Parts matching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike.

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there to see if I can get a spark of interest: I would like to see a community built catalog of parts that fit engines they weren't made for. Fitting a Briggs connecting rod into a Tecumseh engine, for instance. Would anyone be interested in providing information or ideas on this?

scarletvw

Reaction score
If I'm going to be putting something inside an engine like a connecting rod, I'm going to be putting in the correct part. Just my .02

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Some parts of the same brand interchange, some increasing performance, but you are unlikely to find parts from two brands with the same specs.

anderkart

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there to see if I can get a spark of interest: I would like to see a community built catalog of parts that fit engines they weren't made for. Fitting a Briggs connecting rod into a Tecumseh engine, for instance. Would anyone be interested in providing information or ideas on this?

The racekart engine builders over at bobs4cycle.com mention interchanging parts like that quite a bit.
(like using different brands of pistons/rods when installing stroker cranks, and stuff like that)

OzFab

Reaction score
This is a good idea. It doesn't happen very often but it does happen. Having some sort of database would help when it comes to performance upgrades.

However, as previously mentioned, some tolerances can be very small. For example...

mike.

Reaction score
If I'm going to be putting something inside an engine like a connecting rod, I'm going to be putting in the correct part. Just my .02

Understandable. You aren't the only one. I was more targeting those who want to increase performance but don't have the aftermarket support. Engines are a dime a dozen, usually not running, but those make the best experimental platforms. My hobby with engines goes two ways: put it on something and drive it around, and try new things. :thumbsup:

Won't get very far. Briggs is Briggs, etc.
It's not like Ford parts will fit a Mercury.

This is true in a sense. I think you would be quite surprised at how many parts can fit directly or fit with a little modification.

Some parts of the same brand interchange, some increasing performance, but you are unlikely to find parts from two brands with the same specs.

Well my whole idea is to find the parts that do fit. There are so many engines out there. There is no way every single one is completely unique. It doesn't have to be internal parts either. It can be as simple as a certain header fitting on another brand block or another model engine of the same brand.

I don't want my idea to be misconstrued. The parts don't have to be exotic mixes. You can mix rotating assemblies among various models of the same design and get a stroker kit (i.e. Tecumseh H & HS type motors). The same goes for heads, valves, cams, etc. Its common practice to swap P&C ignitions with standard coils.

:cheers2:

OzFab

Reaction score
...not to mention quick answers to questions like "what carb will fit this engine without any mods?"

Three months on, we're still waiting for landuse to get his carb adaptor made because the carb he got didn't fit the engine

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Really? Paul, that sucks! If I had known it was going to be such a hassle, I would have made you up one!

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
They still haven't gotten you that little adapter!? At this point it would have been faster to melt down some soda cans and religiously file down the chunk of aluminum with a paperclip every night... Are there any other local machine shops? If there are I would ask one of them to do it and tell the other place that you're cancelling the order.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? Paul, that sucks! If I had known it was going to be such a hassle, I would have made you up one!

They still haven't gotten you that little adapter!? At this point it would have been faster to melt down some soda cans and religiously file down the chunk of aluminum with a paperclip every night... Are there any other local machine shops? If there are I would ask one of them to do it and tell the other place that you're cancelling the order.

The guy doing it for me is a buddy, so I hate asking about it all the time. I am going to see him tomorrow, so hopefully I will have some news for you guys

One word of advice, never get a friend to do work for you. There is always the chance that it will strain the relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.