outboard engine.....on a cart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryf

Reaction score
so I've been doing some work on an old 60 hp johnson out board, had it all apart and realized this small 4 cylinder 2 stroke would make a bad *** cart engine... plans are slim at this point, but I'm working on an output shaft adapter which is coming right along, will probably go with a small pickup trans running a chain drive and mounted side ways... not making promises on this project as my cart works well in current for and this would be "if/when" something breaks.. I will have to figure out an electric water pump and rad, but being 2 stroke it'll darn near run upside down with the carbs boats use... thoughts?

ryf

Reaction score
I haven't counted the splines or hit it with a caliper, but I know it can be adapted.

I don't know the answer to this, the carb is on the side, so I figure at worst I'll make a plate to rotate it 90 degrees. which is nothing. I'm still not sure if I'll ever use it, it is alot of motor compared to the 500 cc's I have now that works more than well enough.

I may look for a VW transaxle and build a bigger buggy using car parts. I'm nt sure my carts strong enough for the engine.

robin

Reaction score
im sorry if ime rong but you have missed one big problem it will over heat even if you rig up a rad it willl still run hotter than normal

2or3wheels

Reaction score
yeah the water cooled engine run really cool, we had our 40 horse running in a barrel for 10 min and you could touch the head with it only being on the warm side, you can try and find a air cooled motor, but those are usually small HP, but maybe if you have a big water container with a fuel pump to push water into the motor you might be able to make it work. Also you would need to re-fill the water container if it ran out. Just dont want you to wreck a good motor.

ryf

Reaction score
good points all... its not really a good motor though, we replaced it with a 115, so its got nothing left for me :) its a late 70'sish engine, and no real value besides scrap weight, if I get it running I'll figure out something, maybe a v-8 rad for a mustang or camaro, it'll be bench run for sure, before I start hacking up costly metal for something...

I would love one something like those freestyle buggies they have in Europe, that would probably be way easier to make with a neon, cavalier, or metro engine and trans... but I've never been conventional. of course I could lower my goals and say not buying one is less conventional as well.

pomeroniinc

Reaction score
Hey!! now thats gotta be!!

So have you thought about using a transaxle?? I have a 15 hp twin baot motor but let me ask you a question!! How do you overcome having the back pressure you need for the exhaust and then theres the water blowout from the exhaust thats internally ported?? Let me know your thoughts!!:confused:

ryf

Reaction score
So have you thought about using a transaxle?? I have a 15 hp twin baot motor but let me ask you a question!! How do you overcome having the back pressure you need for the exhaust and then theres the water blowout from the exhaust thats internally ported?? Let me know your thoughts!!:confused:

backpressure= longer exhaust runs&smaller pipes

I'm actually looking at a VW transaxle as a possibility. I think it would work well since some fools have even put SB chevy's on them. 60 hp in a correctly sized buggy should do well given the increased RPM range.

a 15 hp you could use a transaxle from a mower like I used with my 500c 17.5 mower engine build now. a peerless 820 (3/4" input, 1"axles) works well for me using a serpentine belt tensioner off a chevy pushing the back of a v-belt. using that configuration @3600 rpm I've gone 45 mph. my gearing is somewhat lower than it should be, but the lower gears make climbing and slow articulation maneuvers easier. another option is peerless 700's as they are by ALOT of lawn mower racers

Status
Not open for further replies.