Opportunity to buy an engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

572bigblock

Reaction score
PR Diamond has an offer out now to sell a new hand-held masonry saw for about 500-600 bucks shipped to your door. It has a $200 blade on it which I can use or sell, so really I can buy this saw for around 300 bucks. This is a limited time offer to attempt to get their saws in the hands of consumers and businesses. The saw usually markets for $1100 (without blade) and they want to introduce themselves into the market by selling them cheaply, so they can compete with the large saw companies.

The saw weighs 22 pounds without the blade or fuel, and has a 61.5 cc 2-stroke WALBRO engine that puts out 4.8 HP. The blade is driven by a belt.

I'm wondering If this saw would be good to take apart and make into a go-kart or mini-bike. Or is this idea just ridiculous and would be too expensive/impossible.
:bannana:

dthomp87

Reaction score
The saw weighs 22 pounds without the blade or fuel, and has a 61.5 cc 2-stroke WALBRO engine that puts out 4.8 HP. The blade is driven by a belt.

I'm wondering If this saw would be good to take apart and make into a go-kart or mini-bike. Or is this idea just ridiculous and would be too expensive/impossible.
:bannana:

For being 61.5cc it sure is a powerful engine! I know my 148cc B&S engine produces 3.5 HP and weighs 35lbs :(

its not a terrible idea but it doesnt seem like it will be hassle free to do what you are proposing. If it were me (simple and cheap) I would just get a used engine that you can find off some outdoor equipment (landscaping) which you can get for extremely cheap off of craigs list. I got my motor (above) for $25 off craigslist. I took it off an edger.. you can find much more powerful engines also

sayre315

Rupp enduro
Reaction score
lifan sells dirt bike engines for around $200 for a umm like i think 70cc with tanny wich means alot more speed

572bigblock

Reaction score
For being 61.5cc it sure is a powerful engine! I know my 148cc B&S engine produces 3.5 HP and weighs 35lbs :(

its not a terrible idea but it doesnt seem like it will be hassle free to do what you are proposing. If it were me (simple and cheap) I would just get a used engine that you can find off some outdoor equipment (landscaping) which you can get for extremely cheap off of craigs list. I got my motor (above) for $25 off craigslist. I took it off an edger.. you can find much more powerful engines also

ya, the horsepower rating seemed a little high to me, but thats what they are rated at. They have to be torquey to cut through bricks and blocks. We bought one already, and it was about $500 shipped to our door, although this one is being used for what it was intended to do. Just wondering if another one could be bought and used without much hassle of getting a clutch and ect. rigged up.

Thanks for the input guys.

dthomp87

Reaction score
yeah well if you want to spend the money than it wouldnt be hard to hook up the engine with a clutch(unless it runs at some crazy RPM that is not normal). It also might already have a clutch on it(actually I would bet money it does). one advantage would be how much power it has for being so small.. Although its confusing me a bit maybe they have it geared down or something...? anyways if you are wanting to do it then you should look into what RPM it runs at since it might be geared down and make sure you can outfit the proper gear ratios to make sure it will work with a go kart!

this is helpful speed calculator

Can you send me a link to where you got this beast at?

572bigblock

Reaction score
I beleive it runs at 5100 RPM but I'm not sure how fast the blade spins. I'm sure it has a clutch of some sort because the blade does not move at an idle.

PR diamond (a blade company) sells these saws. I looked on their site but could not find anything mentioning this offer. I'm sure if you called up they would tell you about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.