Operation Big Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frysie

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Townsville, Australia
Picked up an old PCR Jaguar Sprint chassis and decided to throw a Honda 13HP clone on it, problem is the motor is to big for the frame so some modifications are in order.
This is the progress thus far, extended the chassis by about a foot to get a little clearance for the clutch and 10" wheels I wanted to install.
I'll post more as the project progresses.
 

Attachments

  • Photo 2013-01-14 07.45.18 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-14 07.45.18 PM.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo 2013-01-19 03.24.31 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-19 03.24.31 PM.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Photo 2013-01-19 03.25.57 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-19 03.25.57 PM.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Photo 2013-01-19 03.26.21 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-19 03.26.21 PM.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 66

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Dude! Where did you get those wheels? They look SIIIICK! I could see orange krate wanting a set of those for "The General"

Looks like some good work so far. Don't forget to factor in the change in length when you put your steering together :thumbsup:
 

Frysie

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Townsville, Australia
Thanks lads, the wheels are off an ATV or golf cart.
Readily available, 205/30 R10 tire and a 10"x8" rims, just have to modify the hubs a little but all in all pretty impressed with the result thus far.
Fabroman, will the extra foot make that much of a difference to the steering? If so what will need to be modified?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
The extra 12" of wheelbase will have a negative effect on the Ackermann geometry. Only a test drive will reveal whether it will truly be an issue. Complete the project and assess handling. If it is really poor, then you'll likely have to cut the steering arms off the spindles and re-angle them to correct the geometry.
 

Frysie

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Townsville, Australia
Just thought I would throw a few updated pictures up, feedback appreciated.
Cheers
 

Attachments

  • Photo 2013-01-27 08.48.49 AM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-27 08.48.49 AM.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo 2013-01-27 08.50.29 AM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-27 08.50.29 AM.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Photo 2013-01-27 08.51.02 AM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-27 08.51.02 AM.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Photo 2013-01-27 08.50.00 AM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-27 08.50.00 AM.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Photo 2013-01-26 06.46.09 PM.jpg
    Photo 2013-01-26 06.46.09 PM.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 33

Frysie

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Townsville, Australia
The motor I purchased had a 14T Hilliard on it, but I have a feeling I may need to upgrade once up and running. Still have to decide on the sprocket size, any suggestions with running a #40/41 chain?
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
The motor I purchased had a 14T Hilliard on it, but I have a feeling I may need to upgrade once up and running. Still have to decide on the sprocket size, any suggestions with running a #40/41 chain?

Unfortunately with a clutch with 14T and tyres that large, you are going to have to gear real low. If you use the 14T, you are going to have to invest in a jackshaft to get the kind of gearing you will need for your kart. This is because if you don't, you will need to get an axle sprocket with 100T or more, and that will be hard to find and will be too large for your back tyres and scrape the ground.

If you use a 10T (not too sure if pitch will allow) you could get a 80T axle sprocket (this is without a jackshaft). I am aiming at a gearing of 8:1. You might need to go lower though. You will have to see.

A Comet 40 series TC might work better for you though, but geared correctly you should be able to use a centrifugal clutch
 

Frysie

New member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Townsville, Australia
Thanks very much, I might look at the TC option. Seems to be an easy solution to a complicated problem.

Might go the 10T 1" with a #40/41 chain option.
Cheers
 
Messages
254
Reaction score
0
Location
silver tucky, IN USA
The 13hp clone you got might surprise you. I have one and it has a bunch of torque. my buddy was riding my go kart around and he weighs 350 lbs or more and my clutch wasn't burning up with a 6:1 ratio. So I would try riding it before you spend the extra on the torque converter. And the knock off torque converters on eBay go for around 180 dollars
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,796
Reaction score
591
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
The 13hp clone you got might surprise you. I have one and it has a bunch of torque. my buddy was riding my go kart around and he weighs 350 lbs or more and my clutch wasn't burning up with a 6:1 ratio. So I would try riding it before you spend the extra on the torque converter. And the knock off torque converters on eBay go for around 180 dollars

With a 13HP engine you are going to have to go for a Comet 40 series, not a 30 series which is only rated to 8HP. A 40 series is double the amount you quoted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top