Old Briggs problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Reaction score
Great site! I am a newbie and having a couple of problems with my 8 hp starter recoil. The spring keeps unwinding and not recoiling like it should, so I had a local shop fix it, but lo and behold it came unwinded again. After alot of frustration I decided against my better judgement to cut off that portion off the blower housing and try something other than the spring. My question is, is there any other (Cheap) option of fixing my starting problems? Does briggs have a cup design or something? Any info would be appreciated.

IHcubguy

just a member
Reaction score
:iagree:and i think its called a starter recoil clutch. take it apart and use brake cleaner to remove any gunk! use a very very light lube, should be done once every year or during tune-ups, maybe it's grabbing while the engine is running and not spinning free like 1992suburban said! Northern has a recoil for $60.00 bolts right on if nothing else works!

oldskool

Reaction score
Got it running

I was able to get my rebuilt 8 hp briggs started even without the recoil fixed. After some thought I just put the inner plastic part of the recoil without the spring and slid it on the oneway clutch (not sure if its called that) and after several pulls and rewinding the rope the flathead lives. Sounded a little rough at first but after a slight carb adjustment it just about jumped off my work bench! I was surprised I didn't have a major carb problem as this engine sat around 25 years and I only cleaned it out with carb cleaner down the intake, not even breaking it down and rebuilding it. I guess either I am lucky or its built well? This engine was found by my brother about 18 years ago who had no use for it so I suggested that and I would rebuild it. Many years later after my sons gokart was slowing down and a tired 6.5 I stumpled upon the 8 hp under a bench!! Now its destined to replace the tired 6.5 techumsi on my kids yerf dog. Still have to figure something else to start this engine. Tried the techumsi pull start but it won't work, close but not fitting. Anybody have suggestions? I can be resourcefull and Cheap is good.

oldskool

Reaction score
Comet issue

92suburban, thanks, the oneway bearing is working fine. IHcubguy-thanks for the recoil tip I will probably have to pickup a new recoil i will try nothern.
Now that I got it runnin i noticed my new comet 30 series driven clutch does not have a bronze or anything type bushing on it! Does anyone know if this series is supposed to have one or not??? Mine is made for 1 bore for briggs 8hp. Just wanted to know before I set up the engine on the cart and have to reconfigure stuff. I will post pics of this project soon as my camera is being repaired (my kid dropped it down the stairs).

anderkart

Reaction score
If you have an old funky small engine/lawn mower shop around they may have a few 8hp recoil covers laying around they'd sell ya pretty cheap.

Some older small engines used to only have a spool/pulley, that a pull rope was hand wound around for each start. The pull rope had a knot at the end and the spool had a notch/opening that the knot was hooked into before winding. After each pull start the rope came completly off. I was thinking you might be able to rig something like this up, meyby for free. On these, you can usualy use an extra long length of rope to achieve a higher starting rpm.

Another inexpensive option might be installing a nut in place of the square head starter clutch and use a good electric drill with a cut down extention and a socket to start it.

IHcubguy

just a member
Reaction score
i tried that with a 1/2 drill, and everytime it started it would back the flywheel nut off alittle bit everytime, because the engine was running at a higher rpm, and i couldnt get the drill off fast enough! found this out when it was running and the cup rattled off and flew across the shop after hitting the floor!

newrider3

Reaction score
92suburban, thanks, the oneway bearing is working fine. IHcubguy-thanks for the recoil tip I will probably have to pickup a new recoil i will try nothern.
Now that I got it runnin i noticed my new comet 30 series driven clutch does not have a bronze or anything type bushing on it! Does anyone know if this series is supposed to have one or not??? Mine is made for 1 bore for briggs 8hp. Just wanted to know before I set up the engine on the cart and have to reconfigure stuff. I will post pics of this project soon as my camera is being repaired (my kid dropped it down the stairs).

It doesn't need any kind of bearing, it should be secured to the jackshaft (or the crankshaft if you are referring to the driver, not the driven).

porsche930dude

Reaction score
the one inch drivers dont use a bushing because the 3/4 and 1 inch outer half is the same they just change the backing plate. so there is no room for the bushing. Briggs does use a cup pull start on alot of engines. Im sure if you got the right parts you could make that work

solomon

Reaction score
the reason the spring unwinds is because the starter recoil clutch (the square thing the pull starter goes on) is not spinning freely and causes it to siese and force the recoil to go backwards which then unwinds the spring. so a new recoil wont fix it. You need to dissasemble the clutch and clean it and lube it. Then fix ur recoil and reassemble.

When lubing the starter clutch use automatic transmmission fluid.

oldskool

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers! My oneway clutch was missing a ball bearing and was hanging up the pull start. I fixed the pull start problem by replacing the oneway clucth with a cup that mounts to the crank and attaching and modifying an old techumsi recoil pull start on my old briggs housing. It works really great! But of course time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.