Oil smoke but good compression

five20too

Reaction score
Newb here with an engine issue on my Manco Helix 6150 with a GY6. So I got this previously non-running kart from a buddy. I got it to turn over and did a compression test 1st thing. It was good. Then I replaced the CDI, carb, coil/wire/plug, ignition switch and a few other things I can't remember. I changed the fluids and got it running. Boy does that thing burn some oil! I thought maybe something had happened so tonight I did another compression test. Gauge read 132 psi cold. I took off the valve cover and made sure the vent breather was open and it was good. The oil level is perfect (checked without screwing in the dipstick). The only thing that it doesn't have is a muffler. It's running straight out of the head. Could that be a problem? Other than that I'm at a total loss. Clean fuel, new 10W-30 oil, and good spark. The spark plug did have some oil on it when I removed it. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!

Powersrp

Reaction score
a few ideas, valve stem seals, or the oil scraper ring, only a few places oil can get in the combustion chamber.

five20too

Reaction score
That’s true. Is one of them known to be an issue on these Chinese engines? I’ll probably end up tearing it down and doing a bbk if I can’t get away with a head swap.