• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Off the wall Drive train ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So, I was thinking the other night as I was trying to fall asleep...is it possible to put a drivetrain like bikes have on a go kart? Maybe I don't know much about drivetrains, but I was thinking along the lines that a bike's drivetrain on a go kart would provide a type of transmission for a go kart without all the added weight. It would allow top end speed and low end as well just with the click of a lever. What do you guys think...?

Rotore

Teh SPIK
Reaction score
yes it's basically the same thing as a normal cart only difference is that the transmission is mounted to the engine, its been done.

chain onto the engine/tranny that goes to a sprocket on the axle/wheel.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
I think if you had a cent clutch running to a jackshaft to the bike derailer system to the wheel it would work. You would just have to be easy on the gas and let off when you shift

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Not strong enough. I've heard of people destroying bike sprockets just from pedalling so hard, lol. No way they would stand up to 3.5-50hp in a kart.

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
Definitely not! Absolutely positively certainly not! This system works reasonably well for Honda GX22, GX 31, GX 25 and GX35 engines, but our 50cc pocket bike engine killed the chain pretty quickly. I found this out during a 24 hour endurance race with pedal/petrol hybrids.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
I ran a bike chain on a mini chopper with a 50cc engine. The chain held up fine. It depends if you use the stock walmart brand bike chain and sprockets. You CAN get strong sprockets and chain at a bike shop. Anything is possible.

Reaction score
My idea would not include using bicycle sprockets, derailer, etc. All those items can be fab'd with sturdier material. I'm mainly going for the drivetrain as a transmission. Let's say you're cruisin' around on jumps, hills, etc out in an open field or what not, and to get back where you came from you have to go down a road...it will allow you to change your low end speed and high end speed when the terrain calls for it. You'd be able to just let off the throttle, pop it into a gear and keep goin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.