off road mower, wheel horse 800 special. AKA the RED ROCKET!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Just figured i'd put up a few pictures and videos of my tractor. currently not 100% needs brakes, a better air filter, and a few little things, winch and headlights, bigger battery and gas tank.

Specs
1970 something wheel horse 800 special
18hp kohler twin, horizontal shaft
stock 3 spd +reverse H pattern tranny
25" atv tires
9" pully in front, 5" on tranny
snowblower tires up front
open diff still (cant get hubs off to split tranny cases)
ghetto bike break lever gas pedal
lowered seat
custom stack with home made flapper

Here are a few current pics, and a video from before i put good tires on it (much better now, i could easily flip over backwards in 3rd gear if i wasnt careful).

redsox985

Reaction score
It looks like you nearly wheelie it a few times. If you mash on the gas in 1st, can you? Also, what does it top out at? It looks like one heck of a good time!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I can easily flip it over backwards wheelieing, but it has to be in 3rd gear, 1st is just geared too low. tomorrow i'll get a good video with some wheelies and climbing. It tops out at around 20-25 currently, with the governor still intact and the atv tires. If i take out the governor i could easily hit 30.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
haha completely forgot to edit that out, belt fell off. just added a few belt guides and made duel stacks (both on same side). shes got even more nut now, and sounds mean.

karl

Reaction score
I would kill for that mower. A guy lives near me that has over 400 lawn tractors. I tried to pick one up but he wanted top dollar for everything. He has so many of them that were like yours, wish i could get one but he wanted $200 for one a wheelhorse that had a seized 8hp motor. It wanted it so bad, it had a 4 speed with a high-low.

Clayton

Reaction score
My john deere 117 with the 16hp kohler twin can pop wheelies like the first 2 you did in that video. Put the hydrostatic in neutral then ram it forward as fast as you can. I am tempted to put an old suzuki 340cc snowmobile engine in that tractor to pop wheelies like you did.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
cool!!!!!!!

i would do this to my sears, but im worried the tranny will go "pop" and theres no more of that.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
cool!!!!!!!

i would do this to my sears, but im worried the tranny will go "pop" and theres no more of that.

what model is it? some have better trannies than other. this wheelhorse has a heavy duty cast iron tranny, all ball bearings and oil filled so im not too worried. most newer trannys are cast aluminum with brass bushings and grease, and dont hold up quite as well. but its still worth a shot, generally non running riding mowers are a dime a dozen.

I would kill for that mower. A guy lives near me that has over 400 lawn tractors. I tried to pick one up but he wanted top dollar for everything. He has so many of them that were like yours, wish i could get one but he wanted $200 for one a wheelhorse that had a seized 8hp motor. It wanted it so bad, it had a 4 speed with a high-low.

Yeah this was basically my dream mower, i always loved the old wheel horse's and the H pattern trannies. I got it for $20 basically, i traded a pod filter for a craftsman, which was ok but needed a charging coil and belt, then traded the craftsman for this thing with a blown rod. The craftsman ran and drove but this thing had a lot more potential.

apfcb94

Reaction score
i got a old 1965 bolens with a 8 hp brigs. it will pop up if i let out the clutch fast in first. make me think about playing with it alittle now. i got a bigger one a old economy tractor on big vtreads. but its for pulling

Status
Not open for further replies.