Off Road Kart build - 1st ever project

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombarr247

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My names Tom and I'm from Ireland.

This is just a thread on the build of my off-road Kart!
It's my first ever attempt at a kart (or metal working at all really), so all info, help, and constructive criticism is welcomed! (please don't slate me though, i'm still learning!).
I started building a few months back, and between work, college and trying to find parts, progress is slow, but somewhat existent.

I've been scrolling and searching through this site since I began building, for hints and tips. and as a member suggested, here I am creating my own build thread to show you guys what I've got so far!

I have a 13hp Wiltec honda clone engine, and am breaking an old track kart for parts.
If you are wondering about the steering arrangement, I didnt want to have the column between the legs!

Attachments

• gokart.jpg
    gokart.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 50
  • gokart1.jpg
    gokart1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 38
  • gokart2.jpg
    gokart2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 32
  • gokart3.jpg
    gokart3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 42
  • gokart4.jpg
    gokart4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 34
  • gokart5.jpg
    gokart5.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 29
  • gokart6.jpg
    gokart6.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 28
  • gokart7.jpg
    gokart7.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 37
  • gokart8.jpg
    gokart8.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 27
  • gokart9.jpg
    gokart9.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 26

chris_the_poser

Reaction score
Looks like you have a good start going Tom. That's the first I've seen steering setup that way I'm curious to see how it works. You might need to brace the top of the shocks more I'm not certain but maybe a piece from the top up to the roll cage should work. Like I said tho wait for someone else to chime in I'm by no means an expert on this. Keep up the good work I can't wait to see what other ideas you will bring to the table

OzFab

Reaction score
Your steering certainly is ingenious

:iagree: I've never seen a setup like it. For your sake, I hope it works well.

:kewlsmiley: I assume they're in reverse order?

For a noob to fabricating, you're doing good; If you have any questions just ask :thumbsup:

Everyone has to start somewhere & the only way we learn is by asking questions. IMO, there are no stupid questions.

As you may have noticed by now, we're a pretty laid back, fun loving bunch so don't think we'd ever give you a hard time for not knowing something.

Welcome aboard & have fun :thumbsup:

tombarr247

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind replies!
In regards steering, it's going to be trial and error once I get the kart up and running and hop it doesnt suffer bump steer or understeer!
Landuse, I kept the majority of the geometry neutral. There will be change in camber as the kart goes over bumps, as its a single wishbone setup, the caster is neutral, and the toe-in/out is adjustable with the steering tie rods! After that it's a wing and a prayer!

Thanks chris_the_poser! I have always wanted a kart, so decided kill two birds with one stone - learn a bit, and have a kart at the end!
Yes I was thinking the same myself about the suspension mounts. Not beefy enough!. I need to adjust my roll cage height slightly (got a larger seat than originally planned), and throw out a brace from it to the suspension mount hopefully. Just have to find the best way of doing it!

Thanks fabroman! I hope it works too.... othewise its back to the drawing board! :rolleyes:
yeah this place seems to be pretty chilled! thanks for the support! As for having fun? I intend to have a lot of it!

Thanks,
Tom.
:cheers2:

fowler

Reaction score
if u moved the pivot points for the suspension out to the side and lined then up with or close to where the tie rod joins the those long steering arms then u would suffer none or close to no bump steer

tombarr247

Reaction score
Hello again fowler!
Thanks for the info, i have the end of the steering rod moved as close as possible to the pivot point of the a-arm, as the steering arm stil has to swing back and forth! Hopefully it will be enough!
Have to wait and see how it pans out.

You know you mentioned before about an internal thread for the end of the driveshaft.
What is then the best way to affix the wheel then?

thank!
:cheers2:

tombarr247

Reaction score
Well!

Sorry haven't been able to update, extremely busy in the run up to Christmas, as I'm sure you all are.
I am now looking into buying sprockets and some other parts over Christmas to have them for the new year, but I ned some of your experience on what to get.

Basically, I have a standard LIFAN 13HP motor, with an oilbath clutch to suit.
The oilbath clutch has a 2:1 reduction ratio already.
The rear wheels will be 19inch Outer Diameter.

What size driving sprocket, and what size driven sprocket will I need do you thing? Or what would be a decent ratio?
If I could hit somewhere in the middle of acceleration-top speed (swaying more towards acceleration, as it is an off-roader) that would be great!!

Cheers!!

Last edited:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I would probably gear your kart somewhere in the region of 7:1. That means you can have something like a 52T axle sprocket and a 15T sprocket that attaches to the reduction box that you have. This will give you (52/15) = 3.46:1 - Because you have a 2:1 reduction box, you can multiply this by 2, and you will have a ratio of 6.93:1

Status
Not open for further replies.