Off road go cart build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksander

Reaction score
I have decided to make my existing go cart into a off road one. I have a 5 hp manco with no suspension. I plan on putting in a dirt bike or snowmobile engine and adding a double a-arm suspension.

I'm looking for a write-up on how to do this. Especially about the engine swap. Also any general comments or advice is welcome.

I'm sure I will have more specific questions once I get into the build. :thumbsup:

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
I post this up alot, my gokart had a 5 horse with no suspension, so i took some old sled rear suspension parts and welded up a swingarm and used a front shock. These are old pics, i will have to get some pics of it now, it looks a bit different.As for a front suspension, you can use ATV A-arms etc..

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Oh and for the engine swap, its pretty simple, if you use a dirtbike engine ya just gotta make mounts, shifter, and put on correct sprockets. If you use a sled engine you either can use a Cent. Clutch that fits or use the sled CVT.(Continuously Variable Transmission) Then run a jackshaft with the secondary on one end and a sprocket on the other with the chain running to the axle. I dont know if this helps at all but i put a Kawi 340 twin sled engine in my golfcart..

Peter16

Reaction score
im building an off road kart.
Im using a dirt bike engine (we quad engine)
I am about to figure out how to weld the front end of a quad onto it, I will use the quad steering and suspension.
Ill show you some pics of our progress.

5trucks

Reaction score
The big problem with using dual a arms is knowing arm length and and building the uprights. You have to make sure your math is correct for toe in/out on compression. The vehicle itself should be pretty straight forward. Build it strong though. You can use VW shocks on all four corners and get all the weld on tabs from http://www.aa-mfg.com/pdshop/shop/
Easiest design for the rear is swing arm.

Any questions feel free to ask. I have built quiet a few off road carts and can send you pics if you like.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Dude that thing looks scary. Way to much steel where it isnt needed.
Scary because it's overbuilt? I'd rather have it that way than not enough steel.
You should see how much steel is in the buggy I'm building atm! (but it should be capable of jumps and general clowning around)

5trucks

Reaction score
If you look at some of the "a arm" pics you can clearly see where his design is flawed. The top arm must be smaller than the bottom one for it to function properly. Look at ant dual a arm suspension (built correctly)and you will see what i mean. Also, the upper frame looks like it will provide the bump stop for the a arms if the shocks hit full compression. Dont get me wrong, i think it is cool what he is building/built. I would just think real hard about copying the design. I'll bet that thing steers terribly even with the rack set up. Keep it simple and just go down to pep boys or any go cart place and take your camera. Snap off a few pics of front suspensions and use them as a base.

5trucks

Reaction score
He did make a note that you need to make the upper a-arm shorter.

You're right, he did make a note. He also didn't change the design according to his pics. He wrote "And this what should it look like when everything is put together" next to the pic of the design using a longer top a arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.