Off-Road Electric Build

MarkC

Reaction score
Andy, is this a kit build..? This looks a great build to do with my Grand Daughter. Thank You!

MarkC

Reaction score
My 13 year old niece and I started our build of an off-road 2 seat electric go kart today. It was originally going to be an electric build of a Spider Carts Grandaddy and then we decided to create our own plans. Our build takes inspiration from the Tao Arrow kart. I purchased the a-arms and spindles for the Arrow kart online. The kart is going to be powered by a Motenergy ME1507 with a Kelly controller. The kart will have 22” rear wheels so with the motor spinning at 3800 rpm the plan as of now is to install a jack shaft to get a gear ratio of 8:1 or 9:1. I want to limit the top end speed and have good acceleration. The battery will be constructed of 32650 cells in a 24S14P configuration for 72V and 70A. The plan is to build a metal battery box under the seats. We got a little bit of the frame base completed today. My niece today learned how to use a tube roller, a metal chop saw, a hole saw to notch tubing, and tack weld tubing. We are mostly only going to work on this on Saturdays so we expect this project will not be completed until late Summer.View attachment 125524View attachment 125525View attachment 125526View attachment 125527View attachment 125528
Andy, is this a kit build from design plans. This would be a great project with my Grand Daughter. Thank You, Mark C.

PureNRG

Reaction score
My 13 year old niece and I started our build of an off-road 2 seat electric go kart today. It was originally going to be an electric build of a Spider Carts Grandaddy and then we decided to create our own plans. Our build takes inspiration from the Tao Arrow kart. I purchased the a-arms and spindles for the Arrow kart online. The kart is going to be powered by a Motenergy ME1507 with a Kelly controller. The kart will have 22” rear wheels so with the motor spinning at 3800 rpm the plan as of now is to install a jack shaft to get a gear ratio of 8:1 or 9:1. I want to limit the top end speed and have good acceleration. The battery will be constructed of 32650 cells in a 24S14P configuration for 72V and 70A. The plan is to build a metal battery box under the seats. We got a little bit of the frame base completed today. My niece today learned how to use a tube roller, a metal chop saw, a hole saw to notch tubing, and tack weld tubing. We are mostly only going to work on this on Saturdays so we expect this project will not be completed until late Summer.View attachment 125524View attachment 125525View attachment 125526View attachment 125527View attachment 125528
This will be incredibly powerful! The me1507 is my go to motor for most of my builds. It’s definitely an underrated motor. Nice build brother

AndyW

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this project was ended. I purchased a 2005 Yerf-Dog Spiderbox in very good condition and may convert it to electric this winter.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
What did you do with the frame? It looked like you were getting pretty far along.