Odd left hand kart ID

Blue flame

Reaction score
I’ve had this kart for a while and the original motor mount is on the left side, everything else is offset to the right. I haven’t been able to find much about why that is. Most “conventional” motors will spin backwards when mounted (the sprocket wants to face towards the rider). It has a plate with two bolts that fit in the slots to actually mount the motor.
some other unusual things I’ve noticed are an adjustable heim joint for the steering wheel angle and it has two rear brake mounting locations
But I’m just genuinely curious if anyone knows the make, model or what this type of kart layout is for.

Thanks

Attachments

• 159A6788-94DF-45F8-9A8A-13C2D7BDB946.jpeg
    159A6788-94DF-45F8-9A8A-13C2D7BDB946.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 15
  • 1B7F4B66-FE42-4F62-8C4A-1F04141AB65A.jpeg
    1B7F4B66-FE42-4F62-8C4A-1F04141AB65A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14
  • F3619952-7B94-4D0D-B18F-C335CE9F58CE.jpeg
    F3619952-7B94-4D0D-B18F-C335CE9F58CE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 1F3DDD4F-1D15-4EBB-B253-04628B6902D4.jpeg
    1F3DDD4F-1D15-4EBB-B253-04628B6902D4.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 12

anderkart

Reaction score
It's pretty common for racekarts to have their engine on the left side in Europe and other country's. It's motor mount & sprocket location are good clues it had a 2-cycle engine with it's output shaft on the right side.

It's a very cool kart, but I cant tell what brand it is; there were probably like 50 different brands of racekarts made in throughout Europe, Australia, South America and other country's over the years.

Does it have mostly all metric nuts & bolts?
And have you been able find any numbers/letters stamped into the frame?

Last edited:

Blue flame

Reaction score
It's pretty common for racekarts to have their engine on the left side in Europe and other country's. It's motor mount & sprocket location are good clues it had a 2-cycle engine with it's output shaft on the right side.

It's a very cool kart, but I cant tell what brand it is; there were probably like 50 different brands of racekarts made in throughout Europe, Australia, South America and other country's over the years.

Does it have mostly all metric nuts & bolts?
And have you been able find any numbers/letters stamped into the frame?
Thanks for the reply, it uses mostly standard hardware actually, all the hubs, the brake master cylinder mounting point and the whole steering system uses standard hardware. The only metric that I’ve found on it were the two studs for the motor mount that fit into the slots. Also I forgot to mention that the motor mount plate (can add pictures and measurements if wanted) has a pretty small bolt hole pattern compared to other motors I’ve seen.
Ive had this whole kart apart and laid out and I couldn’t find any markings or numbers. The guy I bought it off of didn’t have much information, he was going to race it but couldn’t find a motor for it so $150 later it was mine
Thank you again, Now I have an idea for what to look further into.

Blue flame

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, it uses mostly standard hardware actually, all the hubs, the brake master cylinder mounting point and the whole steering system uses standard hardware. The only metric that I’ve found on it were the two studs for the motor mount that fit into the slots. Also I forgot to mention that the motor mount plate (can add pictures and measurements if wanted) has a pretty small bolt hole pattern compared to other motors I’ve seen.
Ive had this whole kart apart and laid out and I couldn’t find any markings or numbers. The guy I bought it off of didn’t have much information, he was going to race it but couldn’t find a motor for it so $150 later it was mine
Forgot to mention that It also has a fiberglass front fairing for it

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Now I have an idea for what to look further into.
Planning on finding original factory info and doing a full restoration? Best of luck to you, especially on finding that motor. Otherwise................
You probably don't have to have a torque converter (CVT) to mod up a fun flattrack kart, just a Predator 212cc and a clutch. Remove the current mounting plate, and weld on a new or custom one to the right of the axle sprocket for the 212. If it was mine.................
I'd do a 212 that would probably have to be mounted on a riser to make room for a cheap Chinese 30 series CVT with a Comet belt replacing the Chinese one. And I'd replace the seat with a padded one, rigid frames are quite rough on bony backsides like mine.

Blue flame

Reaction score
You probably don't have to have a torque converter (CVT) to mod up a fun flattrack kart, just a Predator 212cc and a clutch. Remove the current mounting plate, and weld on a new or custom one to the right of the axle sprocket for the 212. If it was mine.................
I'd do a 212 that would probably have to be mounted on a riser to make room for a cheap
I’m not planning on restoring it per se, I want to fix it up. And I think it would be cool to use the original mount because it’s lower to the ground and would probably help the weight distribution. But I did exactly what you said And thats how I’ve used the kart for the past couple of years, I have a slightly modded 212 (just a stage one kit with the gov removed) that I made a custom mount for and it uses a centrifugal clutch which is a direct drive to the sprocket. . The pictures attached are with the custom mount and predator.
And it is a really fun kart with the predator, it tops out at about 60mph and the acceleration with the 4 stroke is insane.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• 5180DA8F-BF26-4B99-8421-7472C8D4B741.jpeg
    5180DA8F-BF26-4B99-8421-7472C8D4B741.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 68D3C53B-582A-4465-B3F0-E7EE8935925A.jpeg
    68D3C53B-582A-4465-B3F0-E7EE8935925A.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 16
  • 05A485A0-E940-49B8-95A8-630C6E2C5CFE.jpeg
    05A485A0-E940-49B8-95A8-630C6E2C5CFE.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Interesting fairing on that thing. If the kart runs 60 mph. then obviously the bulky-looking fiberglass fairing is not as heavy as it looks. I really like the 2 cutouts in it at the pedals for me and my Bigfoot brethren that would probably need it.
Mainly though, like I've said many times, I appreciate any kind of front bumper that'll absorb the damage of an understeer that finds a tree, a curb, or anything else that front ends like kissing up to. Bent axles or tierods are a pain in the cracked rear bumper to fix, always preferable to quickly remove a beat-up front bumper and keep on riding, and fix that damage at your leisure later. If at all.
NOTE: With that governor removed, I'd absolutely put a tachometer on the kart somewhere you can read it at top speed. Even an El Cheapo from ebay for $10 would be fine, internal battery means self-contained with only one wire that just wraps around the plug wire. Just hoping your first- stage kit didn't include heavier valve springs, that's what shatters OEM cast iron flywheels.
Black Digital Tach Hour Meter Tachometer Gauge For Dirt bike ATV UTV Gas Engines | eBay

anderkart

Reaction score
I'm thinking your old motormount had an additional/upper part that's missing.

The knowledgeable guys at this forum might be able to I.D. your kart and motormount: https://www.vintagekartforum.com/index.php
But don't let them know you've installed a modern 4-cycle engine on it... (y)

Blue flame

Reaction score
Interesting fairing on that thing. If the kart runs 60 mph. then obviously the bulky-looking fiberglass fairing is not as heavy as it looks. I really like the 2 cutouts in it at the pedals for me and my Bigfoot brethren that would probably need it.
Yeah I was really happy my feet fit it actually is pretty interesting the fiberglass fairing is actually really light but all the edges have corners making it really nice and stiff so there was definitely some time put into it.

NOTE: With that governor removed, I'd absolutely put a tachometer on the kart somewhere you can read it at top speed. Just hoping your first- stage kit didn't include heavier valve springs.
Thank you I’ve wanted to add one because I am afraid of that but I didn’t know what type of tach to get, now I know. The stage 1 kit didn’t have heavier valve springs, And to avoid shattering the flywheel i only held it a full throttle for like 5-10 seconds with a speedometer on my phone to see the speed I mostly use it for messing around so I rarely hold it at high speedshttps://www.ebay.com/itm/331347684459

Blue flame

Reaction score
I'm thinking your old motormount had an additional/upper part that's missing.
Yeah I have it I just forgot to add a picture, the mount is on the top or left depending on how it’s formatted. Everything else is what I got with the kart when I bought it. A gas tank a couple of shields one for the side of the seat where an exhaust would go and one that mounts on the side of an engine, and that black L shaped thing, I have no idea what it is image.jpg
The knowledgeable guys at this forum might be able to I.D. your kart and motormount: https://www.vintagekartforum.com/index.php
But don't let them know you've installed a modern 4-cycle engine on it... (y)
Thanks, and no they will never know😂

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Black L-shaped thing looks like the right size, shape, and small holes drilled for a gas/brake pedal actuator arm. The 3 big holes look like classic old school lightening up of weight, and/or strictly racy/decorative.

Willie1

Reaction score
A place I worked at +/- 15 yrs ago dabbled in vintage go karts. That frame and front cowl looks familiar to the ones that ran McCulloch 2 strokes on them. I remember they had a couple twin engine karts that were terrors.

Willie1

Reaction score
Go to this website and check out their vintage kart section and gallery. I worked there 2005-2008.
HOME | RM Motorsports
A pic of one of the twin engine 2 strokes. I'll let you guys figure out what makes the other one special LOL

Attachments

• K1.jpg
    K1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 5
  • K2.jpg
    K2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 5

anderkart

Reaction score
Your black L-bracket mighta been been used as a mount for the expansion chamber. 2-cycle racekarts typically used a long narrow spring looped around the pipe, with each end of the spring hooked into holes in the rear bumper or a bracket like that. The spring allowed the pipe to move with the engine as the karts chain tension was adjusted.

Blue flame

Reaction score
This was my first post on this site so I just want to start off by saying I really appreciate all the help

That frame and front cowl looks familiar to the ones that ran McCulloch 2 strokes on them. I remember they had a couple twin engine karts that were terrors.
I was looking at the throttle linkage to the pedal yesterday and it has two holes for cables to be attached so I was actually wondering if this could have been a twin engine kart ill see if I can post a picture later. the kart is also mostly symmetrical, if you look at the original pics the rear steering support is on a shaft that is pinned in with an assortment of spacers on either side to set the offset, the seat can also be adjusted. the only thing that is strange is the way the bottom end of the steering shaft mounts, that is welded off center. But here is something strange, that black L bracket has the same bolt pattern on the bottom of it to mount to that. and the offset makes it almost centered to the kart and the three holes appear to be the same size as the lower bearing mount, I'm wondering if that had a custom bearing on it so the height could be adjusted and it would center the steering shaft. maybe somebody tried to modify it into a sprint type kart at one point by adding a newer seat and spacing the steering shaft over.

Blue flame

Reaction score
This was my first post on this site so I just want to start off by saying I really appreciate all the help

I was looking at the throttle linkage to the pedal yesterday and it has two holes for cables to be attached so I was actually wondering if this could have been a twin engine kart ill see if I can post a picture later. the kart is also mostly symmetrical, if you look at the original pics the rear steering support is on a shaft that is pinned in with an assortment of spacers on either side to set the offset, the seat can also be adjusted. the only thing that is strange is the way the bottom end of the steering shaft mounts, that is welded off center. But here is something strange, that black L bracket has the same bolt pattern on the bottom of it to mount to that. and the offset makes it almost centered to the kart and the three holes appear to be the same size as the lower bearing mount, I'm wondering if that had a custom bearing on it so the height could be adjusted and it would center the steering shaft. maybe somebody tried to modify it into a sprint type kart at one point by adding a newer seat and spacing the steering shaft over.

Attachments

• 21105C34-CA41-4EFA-A196-C017A4F90153.jpeg
    21105C34-CA41-4EFA-A196-C017A4F90153.jpeg
    669.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 180514F3-2E21-4E97-97DF-336C837EE788.jpeg
    180514F3-2E21-4E97-97DF-336C837EE788.jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 5
  • C5F56F10-FC89-4AFB-8CA8-F7ECB449BDE3.jpeg
    C5F56F10-FC89-4AFB-8CA8-F7ECB449BDE3.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 5

Willie1

Reaction score
Blue Flame -
IMO - the throttle cable bracket on the frame is set up to be able to run 1 or 2 throttle cables, indication of a 2 engine option.
Again, IMO - the steering support is set up to be able to move the steering L to R, which, along with the seat, can be centered for 1 or 2 rear mounted engines, or moved L to accommodate a large side mounted engine. That is the reason for the sliding collar and set screws/bolts at the bottom and the more complicated bushing down at the lower pivot.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Hey 7of2, that kart is absolutely adorable, never seen another like it. Still, if I was going to run it like racing, I'd have to invent some supports for the front cowl/windshield section. Reason being that the horizontal high side braces or whatever they're called would be gone. Sawzall, grinder cutoff wheel, whatever, because I want no obstructions to prevent me from being thrown way clear of the kart in a high-speed rollover wreck. Without a roll cage to prevent spaghetti neck, there must not be any kind of seat belt or any other thing preventing you from being thrown clear.
Blueflame, bear that in mind if you go putting big fancy fairings on your rebuild without a roll cage.