Not Sure: Honda 125 cc | 2 or 4 stroke ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-man

New member
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
4
Location
Missoula,MT
A friend of mine came into town and brought his 3 wheeler he got about a months ago. He got it from a guy that said it was a 2 stroke and needed mix fuel. But looking at it ... Im not sure. it has an oil light indicator and a place to put oil. When I asked him about the oil fill spot he said that he was told it was for the transmission .. But I'm not sure of that. I cant tell. Do these engines have a separation like that? One place for trans oil and then use mix gas? If so what mix would the fuel be ?
.
.








 

Mammoth

Active member
Messages
186
Reaction score
136
Location
Durham, CA
On a 2 stroke the transmission is separate from the crankshaft/piston and needs its own oil.
When you mix oil with the gas it is to lubercate the crankshaft bearings, connecting rod bearings, and cylinder.
 

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
i don't think thats a honda. it look more like a Yamaha Tri Moto 175 1984 ish. this what a 1986 honda 125 looks like
and what a Yamaha Tri Moto looks like
 

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
A friend of mine went into town and took my 3 wheeler with hem that he got about a month ago. i would like it back !!! :roflol:
 

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Messages
420
Reaction score
22
Location
Land of Camo and Fireball
Quick Tip to tell: 4 Stoke has a Cam or valve cover. 2 stroke doesn't and a 2 stroke has a auxiliary oil tank. Also the muffler is a bit more funnel like than a 4 stroke which is more of a can shape.
 

T-man

New member
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
4
Location
Missoula,MT
awesome info. Yeah after seeing the pics I would say its a Yamaha Tri Moto (yellow). Would you know the mix for the fuel?
 

T-man

New member
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
4
Location
Missoula,MT
cool . so we could just put in regular fuel from the pump? also the only number on the engine I could find was ... 4U3-011210
 

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Messages
420
Reaction score
22
Location
Land of Camo and Fireball
I'd go with rocket on this one. Aux oil tanks can be finicky. I run 40:1 straight from the fuel tank on my ATC200s, 2 stroke snowmobiles, and '72 GT550 and '73 GT750. It seems to run a lot better and you don't have to worry about as much maintenance.
 

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Messages
420
Reaction score
22
Location
Land of Camo and Fireball
Anyways. That's what I'd do. It works out better than factory for what I have and it might for that 125cc. Cleaning the oil tank ain't fun when it comes to it. 6 to 1 really...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top