Noob asks: Is it a good idea to use a 150cc 4-wheeler engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silveravnt

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
I found a 4-wheeler for $200. Its wrecked in the front but running. It looks like about a '95 model.

Good idea? Dumb idea? Deadly idea?

Thanks for any help
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Hello and welcome, also thanks for posting your location.
What make/model/cc or any other thing you know about it, aswell as pics. They help alot.

What will this be used in?
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
Welcome and great choice for an engine. Especially if it is a gy6 style 150 and at least a medium to large frame.
 

silveravnt

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
Hello and welcome, also thanks for posting your location.
What make/model/cc or any other thing you know about it, aswell as pics. They help alot.

What will this be used in?

It's about a 1995 suzuki 150cc.
I dont know much about 4-wheelers. The closest I've had was a Honda CBR 600. He said it has gears and electric start.

My son had already said he thought headlights would be cool and this would make that easy.
 

silveravnt

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
The actual one.


It's like this one
 

silveravnt

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
There's loads of parts on that which can be used for a kart; $200 sounds a bit steep for a wrecked ATV though...

Good to know. I was thinking it was a good deal for engine, battery, electricals, lighting, starter, transmission and rear axle. But I wouldn't have a clue about ATVs.

I dont know if I can use the rear axle. Do they normally have differentials?
 

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Messages
2,673
Reaction score
98
Location
U.S.A.
It's not a Chinese knockoff so around here that's a normal price actually. I wouldn't be afraid to pay that especially if I could hear it run first. Or at least check compression and make sure it has spark.


And are you sure it's a 150cc and not a 160cc ? The only 1995ish was the 160cc. The 1980's were 150's. Reason I'm asking is that the 160cc has reverse built in already which would be a huge plus.
 

silveravnt

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
I think it is a 160cc that he advertised as a 150cc. I bet he read 158cc on the case and thought it was 150. He did say it has reverse.
 

silveravnt

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Location
Oklahoma
It is indeed a 158cc (160). It took me two hours to get it but I got it for $160 ($1 per cc)

Got there and the damage was worse than I thought and they said it wont start.
I said I thought it was running from the ad and they tried to start it. Dad was around but it was just two teen boys. The one selling was a pretty sharp kid.
Their landlord showed up.
They had to go to the bank.
I'm dying in 90º heat.
I offered $100 with it not running.
Dad counter offered $150.
I said i'd think about it and left.
I got a mile down the highway when they called that they had started it.
I went back and it sounded good so I bought it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top