No spark on engine

Batvan

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so please tell me if I do something wrong. I have been working on a drift trike for 2 months now and I got to wiring it. All of this is new to me so it took some time but I found a diagram that I could understand and got it all wired. I only had to solder one set of wires, all the other connectors fit.
Then when I went to stat it there was no spark. All of the components are new off E-Bay (or at least we're cleaned.) I have checked all of the connections and they seem fine. The engine is a 125cc pit bike engine(https://www.ebay.com/itm/113838576087) and this wiring harness(https://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-Wire-H...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649).
I have not started thee engine with gas but just to test the spark, I don't know if that would affect anything. I have a few ideas of what may be wrong, the threaded bar coming off the coil broke off but it may also just be for mounting. The stator inside the engine may not be compatible. Also, when I go to attach thee leads to my battery they do not spark similar to how they would on a car.
Any help is much appreciated! I can provide more info/pics if needed.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Is it possible you've grounded the kill switch wire? Have a pic of the coil and "bar" that broke? That "bar" could potentially be the ground for the coil as well as mounting.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Almost looks like it might be a grounding point, how many wires are on the harness for it? Have you tried grounding the bracket using a alligator clip (or piece of wire) yet? What kind of kill switch are you using?

*edit* I just looked at a similar coil and retract my previous statement, I don't think it's a grounding bracket, my coil has 2 wires, a black/yellow (signal) and green (ground).

Batvan

Reaction score
So what do you thing that thread is for? I ordered a replacement when I broke it just in case, I'll try it Friday but in the meantime are there any tests I could do? I have it grounded to a bolt going into the frame.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Just for mounting. 1 wire coils NEED to ground via mounting, 2 wire units do not. Unfortunately you're kind of screwed and need to throw parts at it, not trying to sound rude but it's the nature of the beast.... you can test the coils primary and secondary windings (google it) but there's no real way to test a cdi fully and if you suspect the stator isn't compatible then that's a BIG problem... I'd save that until last. What makes you suspect the stator isn't compatible? The wire colors don't always match what they should so you know.

I'd unhook the kill switch completely and make sure it's dark enough to be able to see spark. Sometimes it's a fine, white hot spark you can't see in the presence of light.

Have you made sure the motor is grounded to the frame? A good clean ground is vital. I hope you slap the new coil on and get spark so you don't have to keep throwing more parts at it, that sucks! Lol. Never hurts to go over the wiring a few times, I know I've missed things before!

Keep us updated!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Always Isolate the killswitch circuit first. There should be one wire from the cdi that grounds to kill spark, disconnect it. If you still dont have spark you'll have to confirm everything is connected properly between stator - cdi - coil.

If you can find a pinniut of the cdi and stator that would obviously help, but often times with chinese parts thats difficilt.

Batvan

Reaction score
In response to Brianator, my coil has two wire coming out of it, is that what you mean? I'll try unhooking the kill switch and turning out the lights. I think my ground it ok, I ran a continuity test with my multimeter and the negative on the battery went to all non-painted parts of the frame and engine.

Update: I snipped the black/white wire that went from CDI to the killswitch. It did nothing but was I meant to snip the ground one? Kaptain Krunch said "There should be one wire from the CDI that grounds to kill spark" I took that to mean the one wire connecting them but I could resolder and try to snip a ground wire?

Edit: After looking at the diagram it appears I cut the right one. One issue could be that I cut it on the kill switch side (the wires split apart) but I don't think it should make a difference.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
You did it exactly right! The black/white when grounded kills spark so if it was running and you touched that to ground the motor would stop. Sounds like its time to investigate that stator, make sure theres no pinched wires coming from it, test the windings for continuity and as you attempt to start it test for voltage getting to the cdi. Might not be bad idea to just put a small splash of gas in the cylinder via the spark plug hole to see what happens, like I said it can sometimes be really hard to see spark if theres light present

Batvan

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try that after I replace the coil.

Update: A wire from the starter may be wired wrong, working on it now!

Update 2: One of the wires was not grounded properly and it is now. The plug still won't spark and before I mess with the stator I want to look at every wire. Can someone post a good wiring diagram, I have an electric start so it needs to have a coil in it. I also have a key but if I can get a spark without that then I will but I'm not sure.

Batvan

Reaction score
Success! Maybe? I got the new coil and plugged it in but nothing change so then I decided to see what would happen if I bypassed the solenoid and attached the two things directly (can provide pics if needed). The engined made a starting sound as if something was spinning it. I immediately stopped because I don't know if that's supposed to happen or if what I did was safe. I then turned the kill switch to off and tried it again, the same result. I think that's because (this is probably obvious to those who know what they are doing) the solenoid is what "kills" the engine. I don't know. Any tips for fixing the solenoid? If someone could provide a diagram that would be amazing. I feel like I am very close now!

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
If you jumped the posts on the starter solenoid it's supposed to engage the starter and spin the motor so don't sweat that. What kills spark is grounding the black/white to the CDI, it essentially bypasses the power to the coil and sends it to ground instead of the coil.

That engine is a E22 or "monkey" motor, there isnt one universal wiring diagram (or harness) that I'm aware of because of all the different options. Some have speedos, some have gear indicators, horn, lights ect. Now that you know it's a E22 that should help you track down the wiring harness for your particular setup (google is your friend).