no rpm's

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
Problem I'm having is my kart isn't producing much for rpms at top end it kinda just plains out instead of winding out..,I'm running a 6.5 clone governor has been removed ,I've installed a t/c ,header pipe,k&n air filter It has 10tooth on the jack,and 65 on the axle,any ideas of what could be the issue ???
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
What size tires do you have? Should have something 13" or under with that gearing. Too tall of tires may be your problem.
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
The tires are stock,16-8-7, so your saying they are to tall,what would ya suggest for gearing ?? I don't want to lose any torque ,also its 63 on the rear end not 65..
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
So i should look into putting a larger sprocket in the axle?? I've been trying to post some pics but won't upload ,I'll try again..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130715_202148.jpg
    IMG_20130715_202148.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 11

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Eh, I guess neither of us saw the t/c part in your first post. Oops, you'll be fine with your stock gearing. I'd check that the torque converter isn't shifting too early. Also try tightening the driven spring get a few notches. Each notch will hold have it shift a few hundred ? rpm higher.
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
I'm not familiarwith any adjustments on a t/c,are there any videos or instructions on how to do that??
 

exenos

Project Nut
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
None specifically for adjusting the spring that I know of, but just take a look at it. Looking at the driven from the back of the kart you should see a coil spring in the driven. On one of the sides there should be a set of 5 holes large enough to put the end of the spring in to. You just change holes to change the shift point. Sorry I cant be more specific but I've never played around with a comet torque converter, I'm basing this off of what I know about sled clutches.
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
Thanks for your reply,,I'll check that out tonight when i get home..
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130718_064956.jpg
    IMG_20130718_064956.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 5

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
A couple things come to mind.

Did you properly remove the governor, or just bypass it?
Observe your throttle and carb carefully. Be sure that pushing the gas pedal all the way down ACTUALLY opens the carb butterfly to wide open. Is the CVT new? Is it the correct belt? Is the belt installed correctly? Have you checked your A/F mixture?
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
Yes its a new t/c, and i completely removed the governor,the t/c came with the belt,it lasted maybe 4hrs of riding, poor quality I'm guessing ,since then I've replaced with another and seem to be having better luck with that one,i was looking at the t/c and there are 3 holes for the spring ,its set in the middle one not sure if that's proper or not.its the way it came when i bought it..
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Check your mixture. I don't think adjusting the driven spring tension is your issue. After the engine mods, you may be running lean.
 
Last edited:

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
This is the only adjusting screw on the carb,screw it in idols to hi,screw out it wants to quit ..idkthings bad *** on take off,then top end it falls on its face..maybe 30 mph..
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
You did not mention in your first post that you had a non-OEM carb on there. Now I REALLY suspect an Air-Fuel mix issue.

Look for vac leaks around the carb to manifold junction, and at the engine. With the engine running, spray carb cleaner around these joints. If there's ANY change, you have a leak, leaning you out.

Failing that, read the sparkplug. Take a full-throttle, high-speed pass and shut 'er down while your foot is still buried. Take the plug out and inspect it. If the ceramic insulator (the white conical shaped part that the center electrode protrudes from) is white, you're far too lean and need to work on your jetting. I suspect this is the case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top