No power in my Hammerhead Twister

wbabbit78

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Hi, I have a Hammerhead Twister with a GY6 150 engine in it. I've had it about a year and a half and put a ton of work into it to get it running normally, replacing the list below.

Battery (x2)
Transmission Belt
Carb
Wheels/Tires (front and rear)
Brakes (front and rear)

Starting about a month ago, it will run fine for about 5 minutes then it loses all power and eventually shuts off. During this period it starts to smoke pretty badly from the top of the engine and smells like burning oil. After that it will not start or barely start unless I let it cool off for a time, after which the cycle begins again. I checked the compression and it's at about 90psi, which I know isn't as high as it should be, but doesn't seem disastrously low.

My question is: Is there anything I can check or replace to save the kart or do I scrap it? I'm fairly handy with smaller engines and have some help from more handy people if necessary, but a new engine costs way more than this kart is worth.

Thank you
 

Edwin Spangler

Well-known member
Messages
1,077
Reaction score
1,073
Is it leaking oil and is the valve lash set properly?

Redo the compression test but put around 10 drops of motor oil into the spark plug hole first.
 

Sparkwizard

Well-known member
Messages
717
Reaction score
857
Location
Richlands ,NC USA
low compression generally makes the engine hard to start, but once running, makes some smoke, but does not lose power and die. Look at your spark plug. Check compression AND SPARK immetiately after it dies and report back. Good luck, don't give up. Never give up.
 
Top