no clutch.... has it's pro's and con's

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
so i got the go kart done (well rigged for this weekend to ride at the farm. any way didn t have a clutch for a 40 chain so i just got a sprocket from tsc and went to town. here is what i found

pro's- the engine has backpressure and really helps you slow down, well at least my full out race motor does, but i would imagine that any motor would. the band brake really doesnt help slowing down that much (i mean it does but... i already had it and wanted to ride this weekend). you have power instantly. it will pull the front end off the ground when the cam kicks in and if you hit it at the right time.

the cool part is it sounds awesome with the bugle pipe on, when i let off it crackles and pops, also throws huge flames if you shut it off for a second and then trun the switch back on (alcohol anyway)

con's- it is very hard to start. on the race motor you must bring the engine just past the compression stroke then pull it, if you don t it just rips the cord right out of your hands. and since it is geared so low to run the 18x10x8 tires, when you push start it, it gets the motor turning really fast and not enough time to get it started. when it hits the compression stroke it STOPS and i bent the jackshaft mount and bracing 3 times. got it all looking like crap now because of all the welds. again like above you have instant power, i keep popping chains off and breaking mounts.

the other thing is i have to push it then jump in, which it isnt going fast at all. but the motor doesnt like to idle on alky so it takes a few shots to get it started then jump in.

i like it other than i want my kids to ride with me, and that is impossible now. i am going to tsc tomorrow to get a clutch. i wouldnt do it again though. i think i will be fine with a cyn clutch for now because it is geared now at 13.50:1. at 7500 rpm i am going 30 which is plenty for the yard 2acres. the clutch has a 10 tooth and will bring it down to 16.20:1 and at 9000 rpm will do 30, but i want to keep it down to 7500 to 8000. and i want to do burn outs!

i ll post pics of the kart later, but here is the motor that is on it from my racing kart and makes between 10 and 15 hp maybe more...

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
put it on stands or ramps for servicing cars, be ready on the throttle and do a luge push off. you could do like dragsters and start on gas, then switch. maybe. depending on how old the kids are, and access to info, don't be surprised if one day you walk out and the jackshaft is completely removed. sorry

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
yeah i here ya, but they aint old enough to drive it yet. 2 and 3 years old. just something to put around yard with them, then when i went have fun the throttle is there! just gotta watch the wife doesnt get into it than hard, you know how women are!

this isnt the final setup, and you will understand when you see it. it is just jerry rigged for this weekend. when i get home it is getting a tav unit and a the axle will be narrowed and disc brakes are going on it. also a cage, because with the tav unit i am going to gear it to about 50mph and i will still have the grunt down low. i was also kicking around the idea of doing a 4 link rear like what they have in a quarter midget, but that is later on. i ll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.