Nitrous?

BMPoland1993

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been considering installing a nitrous kit on my 420cc buggy/gokart.

I have some questions regarding this project, and unfortunately no one I have spoken to until now has been able to answer them. The list even includes specialty nitrous oxide companies.. :(

Before I pose my questions I'll quickly outline the set up on my DIY nitrous kit, since I have been unable to obtain one here in Poland. (Bear in mind that I do not want a full on NOS kit, rather a small one like featured @ RBG on YouTube.

Ok..

1. 16G NoS cartridge connected to bicycle tyre pump via threads on the cartridge. The pump looks like so:

1629728164001.png

2. The other end of the pump has a thread top, into which I will thread in a 6mm brass barb.

3. A hose will slip on to this barb and will go to a precision valve, like below:

1629728384734.png

4. Hose will be attached to one port, the other will lead to 12V button controlled valve, which is normally closed and then opens when voltage is applied.

5. NoS gas will travel via this valve to the airfilter and then into the carb.

Now, my questions are:

1. How much and at what pressure should the gas be delivered to the engine ? Some People use a special nozzle with a hole of about 1mm and other dose the gas without any adjustment.

2. With a 420cc engine, how much n2o do I need to deliver to the engine for a noticeable increase in power, or any at all? At the same time so that I do not have to worry about the safety of the engine.

3. Is nitro used at full engine revs or can it be added at slower speeds and some effect should also be expected?

4. How long can you hold the nitro button?

That is all. I'm hoping for helpful and constructive feedback!

EasySmokes

Reaction score
I would treat this like a car. Full throttle only with the nitrous to ensure you're dumping the max amount of fuel to mix with that dry shot.

I would see if you can make a full throttle switch. like using a brake light switch under a car brake pedal and using that to wire in the nitrous into the throttle pedal. So a switch for nitrous on or off (hot or not) then a pedal switch to activate it.

Technically nitrous can be ran at any rpm but you dont want to lean out the engine, so its best while under full throttle.
You can always jet up your carb, to help compensate depending on how big your shot is, but you will be way to rich down low.

I would set the switch up that way, and as for how much of a shot, i would just go as small as they have available as that little bottle wont last long, nor will be effective to make big power as its a small amount, a bottle thats not being heated to create further pressure, and for your question regarding power. These engines make low power anyways, im sure youll feel anything you spray into it, just will be short lived.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
I agree with ES but, I am a full throttle application solely.

Had a 79 blazer, 14" lift, 4.56 corp14 welded, 4.56 D60 welded, 350 stroker, 2500 stall converter in a TH400 reverse manual valve body/NP205....and a ...150/200/300 hundred shot nitrous kit, do not remember.

Entered pit at 5500/6000 rpm....

Not sure what broke in the mud hole 1st, i do know engine bogged down, nitrous on.... loud noises....and then silence....possible adult beverages.

After being towed out to road and the back home....

Front pinion gear rung off flush
Front Driveshaft kia
Rear shaft twisted like rope, a lot shorter
Broke tcase mount
Which spun tcase and back of tranny, Which broke bell housing and dropped what was left of transmission case on torque converter after shearing input shaft.

Also put a rod through block.

I sold it for the swampers, lift kit, cage etc and left for boot camp next month.... :sifone:
OP sorry for hijack, I forgot about that.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
My opinion on the nitrous kit for about $60 that RBG put in a video was that I wouldn't waste my money. Not enough increase by adding extra oxygen without adding extra fuel to burn in it, little bottles only last for a few bursts, and too expensive for a pack of the little replacements.
Just my opinion for my own use, based on the value of my time and the contents of my wallet.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
My opinion on the nitrous kit for about $60 that RBG put in a video was that I wouldn't waste my money.

Yeah, I thought they were trying to convince themselves it was working at the same time they were trying to sell it. Greasing the tires on smooth concrete to show it can spin tires? It just seems like an expensive placebo the way it is designed. The money would be much better spent on a better engine or upgrading the engine.

52Ford

Reaction score
To answer your question... "Nitrous?" Yes. You can give it nitrous till you run out. Just use common sense. If it's over-revving and shooting a flame out the exhaust, cut back on the NO2 (my suggestion, anyway). As said, WOT only, otherwise what's the point. I would see if you can get a bigger cylinder of nitrous. Going to be hard to break things on that quick of a shot (joke). Those are"whippit" cartridges, right? Get a case of them and experiment with different nozzle sizes.

Edit: N2O - not NO2. Don't mix them up.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Tire inflator cartridges are co2. Only good for putting fires out and mig welding. Got to use Whippit cartridges.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Dry nitrous systems only work good with fuel injection that you can richen when gas is supplied. If you inject nitrous while running lean bad things can happen. From melting the engine to the engine exploding. I survived an engine explosion in 1988 in my 75 454 elcamino. There are still parts floating around in outer space. It also destroyed the nose of the car and floor pans. The only reusable parts on the engine were the alternator and steering pump and brackets.