newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormRider13

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Springfield Mo
I just bought a go kart. Its a grasshopper go kart. Has a 5.0 power sport on it. I am currently upgrading to a torque coverter and hydraulic disc brakes.
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
Welcome to the forum... Please post pics/vid of any/ALL that you are speaking of. It 'helps' us to know what youre speaking of(plus pics/vids bring an audience... and if/when you got a question... an audience is ALWAYS handy!)
 

StormRider13

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Springfield Mo
here are some pictures
 

Attachments

  • 20131208_225917.jpg
    20131208_225917.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20131208_225933.jpg
    20131208_225933.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20131208_230021.jpg
    20131208_230021.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11

StormRider13

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Springfield Mo
So my plan is in order to finish installing the torque converter, I am looking at raising the engine 6 inches, and back about 2 inches. That should be enough room for the converter. I also replaced the 45tooth sprocket with a 60 tooth sprocket. I am looking at hydraulic disc brake. Due to the fact that I will be mounting the brake on the right rear of this kart. And the lines should be easier to route back to the left, to attach to my brake rod. Then I need to replace the 2 front tires due to the fact that air will not stay in them. Any suggestions or ideas to make this plan work is fine by me. thanks,
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
601
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Welcome to the forum. Getting a 60T sprocket is going to give you some nice torque. Your top speed will be reduced though.

Do you know the reason why the front tyres are not holding air? Holes in the tyres? Have you got tubes?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I am looking at raising the engine 6 inches, and back about 2 inches.

Yeah, don't do that; raising the engine will raise the centre of gravity & moving it back will affect the handling because the weight will transfer behind the axle.

Move it across all you want but, that's about the only direction I recommend...

Then I need to replace the 2 front tires due to the fact that air will not stay in them

Fitting/replacing tubes will be a lot cheaper & easier...
 

StormRider13

New member
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Location
Springfield Mo
Its kart is going to be road in grass mostly flat area. Maybe a 2 acres area. Some dirt road. Even moving the eengine back. It still does not put the engine over the axle. I have thought about the weight transfer but I am 200lbs and the seat is almost in the center. The 2 front tires are dry rotted and appears to have a pretty big crack in the center of tires. My main concern is hooking the brakes up. Hopefully it will work out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top